Question about a Nikon lens

Thread: Question about a Nikon lens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi all,

I have a Nikon D90 and a kit lens (18-105), a zoom lens (70-200) and a macro lens (70mm Sigma) for my watch shots. Oh yeah, I also have this 35mm/1.8 Nikon lens, which I really like.

I noticed that some Canon users have this great 24-70 mm lens and use it as their overall lens. I have seen that Nikon also has a high-end 24-70mm/2.8 lens. The Nikon 18-105 lens is OK-ish, but the 35mm/1.8 lens is much cleaner/sharper in my view. Will the expensive Nikon 24-70mm lens be a good overall lens? Is it worth the 1350 Euro?

RJ

Re: Question about a Nikon lens

Is it a good lens? Definitely.

Is it worth getting on a cropped sensor? Not really.

It's a large, heavy, expensive lens that has a less-than-ideal focal length range on a small-sensor body. I doubt you'd notice enough improvement over what you have to justify its cost and bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-Jan Broer View Post
    Hi all,

I have a Nikon D90 and a kit lens (18-105), a zoom lens (70-200) and a macro lens (70mm Sigma) for my watch shots. Oh yeah, I also have this 35mm/1.8 Nikon lens, which I really like.

I noticed that some Canon users have this great 24-70 mm lens and use it as their overall lens. I have seen that Nikon also has a high-end 24-70mm/2.8 lens. The Nikon 18-105 lens is OK-ish, but the 35mm/1.8 lens is much cleaner/sharper in my view. Will the expensive Nikon 24-70mm lens be a good overall lens? Is it worth the 1350 Euro?

RJ
    I'd be interested to know more detail about what it is with the 18-105 you don't like. I find it exceptional at the middle apertures on a D90.

The Nikkor 24-70/2.8 is also an exceptional but has some distortions you'll need to learn to work with and it wouldn't give you much on a DX sensors you can't get from the 18-105.

Based your list of lenses I might recommend the Nikkor 14-24/2.8 rather than the 24-70, assuming it's in your budget.
    Mike Parker

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm ED is my favorite midrange zoom ... Its inexpensive and the sharpness is excellent throughout the range.

Well, my advice is a little different :)

I have the 24-70 on a D300 and its awesome. The build quality is the best Nikon offer, it is a pro lens and built to last. Very fast focus - much quicker than 1.4 50mm I own and the 70-200 2.8 i've tried. It will hold a lot of its value if I decide to sell and it offers superb images. It is already a legendary Nikon lens and it wont disappoint. You may replace the D90 in the next couple of years, but looked after the 24-70 should last decades! Investing in top class glass is always preferable over investing in the latest camera.

It all depends what sort of photography you generally take. I dont really agree with the guys saying the crop factor does not get the best from the lens, because the range a 24-70 gives a DX is approx 35mm-105mm - thats a perfect range for MY use and it also covers the classic lenses of 35, 50 & 85. I do very little landscape/architectural stuff, so dont need the oh so beautiful 14-24 wide angle, nor the long distant wildlife staple (70-200). (Yes, I know the 14-24 and 70-200 have wider adaptations beyond landscape or wildlife respectively).

For me its perfect - sure it is heavy, but I like that, and my D300 counterbalances it OK and I have something that will take a knock without raising a proverbial eyebrow (I read of one pro hitting his with a hammer to release a jammed zoom ring after dropping it and carrying on shooting as if nothing happened).

If cost is not the issue, my advice would be that if you regularly shoot in the range 35-105 then flog your 18-105, 35 & 70mm lenses and buy this one, and dont look back. If you rarely use your zoom 70-200 - flog it.
    The 24-70 is one of the finest out there and here's a decent review: Nikon 24-70 Review | Example Photos Included

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Well, my advice is a little different :)
    [...]
    si
    Wise advice here. Good glass kicks ass.

The pro 24-70 (or 28-70) lenses are impressive things. If you get sick of it, you can always convert it back into cash pretty easily.

Here's my experience. I have access to:

10.5 fish
    12-24 4.0
    20, 24, 28 mm 2.8
    50mm 1.8
    28-70 2.8
    105 2.0 DC
    70-200 vr
    18-200 vr
    many AI manual lenses

however...

the 28-70 gets the least use outside the house because it's a real commitment to lug around. i'd say the tiny and light 50mm gets the most use, it's a perfect little lens. you really ought to have one, as it fills a gap in your lens collection very well.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrocarbon View Post

The pro 24-70 (or 28-70) lenses are impressive things. If you get sick of it, you can always convert it back into cash pretty easily.

10.5 fish
    12-24 4.0
    20, 24, 28 mm 2.8
    50mm 1.8
    28-70 2.8
    105 2.0 DC
    70-200 vr
    18-200 vr
    many AI manual lenses

however...

the 28-70 gets the least use outside the house because it's a real commitment to lug around. i'd say the tiny and light 50mm gets the most use, it's a perfect little lens. you really ought to have one, as it fills a gap in your lens collection very well.
    WOW - what a wonderful collection

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

10.5 fish
    12-24 4.0
    20, 24, 28 mm 2.8
    50mm 1.8
    28-70 2.8
    105 2.0 DC
    70-200 vr
    18-200 vr
    many AI manual lenses

however...

si

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post

si

Thanks!!

I figuratively flog the living daylights out of my gear. I like the 50mm a lot because I just put a metal hood and a UV filter on, and it's bash-proof. Good for parties, hikes, fun times on the city or the wilderness. Plus once the hood gets a bit beat up, it makes the camera less of a theft magnet. And I use a plain black strap or no strap, since the Nikon branded ones are dorky and advertise "steal me".

Here is the hood.

My recommendations are based on how I use my gear, and I value simplicity, light weight and reliability above all else most of the time. When I'm going on a dedicated or commissioned photo session, then I bring out the big guns. Normally, I'm doing something else at the same time I'm hauling a camera, such as skiing, riding, partying, chillin' or whatever, so I just want my stuff to work.

I make no sacrifices in image quality with the 50mm, so it's my #1 lens, and I more or less have my pick of the best. Try one, you might like it!

Thanks!!

I figuratively flog the living daylights out of my gear. I like the 50mm a lot because I just put a metal hood and a UV filter on, and it's bash-proof. Good for parties, hikes, fun times on the city or the wilderness. Plus once the hood gets a bit beat up, it makes the camera less of a theft magnet. And I use a plain black strap or no strap, since the Nikon branded ones are dorky and advertise "steal me".

Here is the hood.

My recommendations are based on how I use my gear, and I value simplicity, light weight and reliability above all else most of the time. When I'm going on a dedicated or commissioned photo session, then I bring out the big guns. Normally, I'm doing something else at the same time I'm hauling a camera, such as skiing, riding, partying, chillin' or whatever, so I just want my stuff to work.

I make no sacrifices in image quality with the 50mm, so it's my #1 lens, and I more or less have my pick of the best. Try one, you might like it!
    I actually put my nifty fifty on this weekend and had a great day out shooting - and enjoyed a little light relief on the old wrist, not lugging round the 24-70. I have the 1.4 50mm and it really is a beauty. wonderful crisp images. I have just borrowed an old 35mm 1.2 Nikon from a pal and will go shooting tomorrow.

si

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information