A quick trip to the beach

Thread: A quick trip to the beach

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A quick trip to the beach

Thankfully I had my camera in my car when the sun was setting, so I took a quick detour down the beach to snap a few shots of the sunset. These were taken on Tuesday night. I didn't have much time to get the correct settings on the camera, but I did the best I could. They were shot with my Canon G6.

I took these next shots last night down the same beach but at the other end. It was really quite windy and sunny so I couldn't see the LCD screen properly. I'm still trying to learn about aperture, shutter speed, etc, so these are not that great, but I thought I would post them anyway. I didn't have a tripod so all were taken hand held. All comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

I shot these in RAW, then converted to TIFF to do some post processing on them. All I have done is cropped, sharpened and adjusted the levels.

A crow.

The same crow.

These next 2 were taken with the camera sitting on the sand, so I wasn't sure how they would turn out. I think the crow likes to be in front of the camera.

And finally, part of my footprint.

Sorry, I completely forgot to take a shot of my watch. I'll try and remember next time.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Re: A quick trip to the beach

These made me smile, thanks Barry You did a great job, particularly on the second series.

The one comment I would make is to watch the composition and cropping:

Quote Originally Posted by bazman View Post

The strong lines in the foreground (pavement and curbs at the bottom of the frame) are distracting, and do nothing to enhance the image, IMHO... You might try to crop that out, and see if you like that better

Keep shooting, Pal!

Best,
    Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

csa

Nice pictures! Wish I had time to get to the beach these days...
    Currently only have a Black Monster, looking to branch out...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the brief respite~Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmegah View Post
    These made me smile, thanks Barry You did a great job, particularly on the second series.

The one comment I would make is to watch the composition and cropping:

The strong lines in the foreground (pavement and curbs at the bottom of the frame) are distracting, and do nothing to enhance the image, IMHO... You might try to crop that out, and see if you like that better

Keep shooting, Pal!

Best,
    Wallace
    :thanks mate. The composition is one area I need to concentrate more on, and when I was taking them I knew I should have been paying more attention to this. I did spend a bit of time trying to figure out how much I should crop them by, but I feel that my lack of compositional skills has caused me problems when it comes to cropping. I did want to crop the walkway completely out, but I thought in doing so would make the photo too shallow. I guess more practice is in order.

Thanks again for your feedback.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by csa View Post
    Nice pictures! Wish I had time to get to the beach these days...
    Cheers mate, I'm glad you liked them.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Beau8 View Post
    Thanks for the brief respite~Cheers!
    You're very welcome mate.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bazman View Post
    :thanks mate. The composition is one area I need to concentrate more on, and when I was taking them I knew I should have been paying more attention to this. I did spend a bit of time trying to figure out how much I should crop them by, but I feel that my lack of compositional skills has caused me problems when it comes to cropping. I did want to crop the walkway completely out, but I thought in doing so would make the photo too shallow. I guess more practice is in order.

Thanks again for your feedback.
    I feel your "pain"

I'm constantly struggling with all the aspects of the technology that goes into making an exposure, that composition suffers. I do force myself to practice composition by putting the 50mm lens on, and carrying nothing else. I feel that if I limit my equipment, then I can devote more attention to being creative. It's truly a work in progress for me!

It gets worse when I sit down to do post-processing at the computer...

Oh well, there's a lot of fun in practicing! Keep at it

Best,
    Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

My faves are number four and crow pic number two. I like the composition and the colors here. The sand in the crow picture is in itself nice to look at and the crow adds something extra.

Regrading tripod, if I don't have one I just place the camera on something. If you place it on the ground it can get interesting if you try out different depths of field.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmegah View Post
    I feel your "pain"

I'm constantly struggling with all the aspects of the technology that goes into making an exposure, that composition suffers. I do force myself to practice composition by putting the 50mm lens on, and carrying nothing else. I feel that if I limit my equipment, then I can devote more attention to being creative. It's truly a work in progress for me!

It gets worse when I sit down to do post-processing at the computer...

Oh well, there's a lot of fun in practicing! Keep at it

Best,
    Wallace
    It can be quite frustrating, and I don't even have any extra lenses. The exposure side of things is also something I need to work on, as I just realised that the focal length and exposure are dependent on one another.

There's more to this camera stuff than meets the eye.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information