Recommend micro four thirds camera and lens

Thread: Recommend micro four thirds camera and lens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend micro four thirds camera and lens

I’m looking to buy a new camera soon and currently eyeing the Olympus OMD EM10 Mark iii due to the more compact nature of this type of camera and that you can transfer photos straight to a phone or tablet (I have an incredibly slow PC that I refuse to use).

I have an old Nikon D60 which I think I will part-ex for the Mark iii. I’m pretty settled on the camera, unless anyone has any better suggestions, but the lens is where I’m a little stuck as I’ve read some unflattering things about the 14-42mm pancake kit lens and am wondering whether I should go body only and buy a different lens to start off with? I just don’t know which one...

I like the idea of variable focal length as I plan to use it for family photos and landscapes as well as watch photography. What do you reckon?
    My watch collection on Instagram —> aecos87

Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Halios Seaforth (series 2) - Nimbus Grey
    Longines Legend Diver
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Seiko SARB065 ‘Cocktail Time’
    Tissot Visodate

jmc

Re: Recommend micro four thirds camera and lens

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured. I'd go with the 12-40mm myself...

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Sounds like you have it pretty well figured. I'd go with the 12-40mm myself...
    Thanks for the reply. The 12-40 looks good but it costs more than the camera and can't justify that at the moment.

I keep turning back to mark iii and kit lens so I think this might be the way the go to start with and then get a prime or two later on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Longines Legend Diver
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Tissot Visodate

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 14-42 is a fantastic lens. I used to use it on my original EM-10 years back. Try it for yourself. Be sure to get the slim latest version and not the fat chubby old one though. It's good to have even after you get other lenses, as it's a great slim backup zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by jmai View Post
    The 14-42 is a fantastic lens. I used to use it on my original EM-10 years back. Try it for yourself. Be sure to get the slim latest version and not the fat chubby old one though. It's good to have even after you get other lenses, as it's a great slim backup zoom.
    Thanks for the input mate. To be honest I was hoping for an answer like this as it would be a perfect starter lens for most applicatons until I invest in some others lenses later down the line.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Longines Legend Diver
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Tissot Visodate

Not sure if this is too late, but I've been fielding this question recently from a number of friends. The important questions to ask yourself is whether you see yourself purchasing a bunch of prime lenses, or f/ 2.8 or 4.0 pro zooms, or ultra wide or ultra tele lenses. If the answer to these isn't a definite yes, then I would recommend you take a look at the more advanced compacts such as the Sony RX100 line, or the Panasonic LX100. They have nice, bright, sharp lenses that are a flexible focal length, do macro reasonably well, and at least for the RX100 IV/V have amazing sensors that basically equal the micro 4/3 sensors on the Olympus or Panasonic cameras since Sony's sensor tech is so much more advanced than anyone else.

By the time you decide you want to play with better lenses, the body you'd have bought would probably be obsolete anyways. PM me if you have more questions! I've convinced many friends to go this route instead of the interchangeable route and none have regretted it.

Definitely do your research on the lenses available for the body before you plonk down your hard earned. The 4/3 format isn't intrinsically bad, but the camera software ends up doing a lot of compensation to fix the chromatic aberrations from the kit zoom lenses.

Personally I'd stick with an updated DSLR or go the RX100 the previous poster has suggested, they really are a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by kissmywhat View Post
    Definitely do your research on the lenses available for the body before you plonk down your hard earned. The 4/3 format isn't intrinsically bad, but the camera software ends up doing a lot of compensation to fix the chromatic aberrations from the kit zoom lenses.

Personally I'd stick with an updated DSLR or go the RX100 the previous poster has suggested, they really are a great option.

Actually I find that the mico 4/3 format pretty wonderful (despite recommending the RX100). IF you need interchangeable lenses I think it's an incredible format. I used to travel with a DSLR kit that takes up an entire roller carry on (for flights) and now that I've switched to m4/3 it's at most 1/5th the size and weight, and I gain an ultra wide and an ultra tele that I couldn't have had before. Yes the sensor is not the best ever, but really if you started out with ISO 400 and 800 film, and delta 3200 like me, the sensor quality is eminently acceptable. Not to mention the *tiny* lenses that are fairly good quality.

I do know that software compensation happens, but as with most engineering challenges it is a trade off. IIRC allowing some distortion in the lenses enables simpler designs, with fewer elements, that can reduce the possibility of chromatic aberrations, and sure as heck allow lighter and smaller lens designs. Have you seen an otus? It's HUGE

A lot of my photos (watches) are shot with a EM10 (1st gen) and a 25mm f1.8 lens. Usually a little cropping is needed as the 25mm is not a macro lens and doesnt focus that close but good enough. After the shot, transfer it to my phone or tablet, edit and upload to instagram.
    Check out my instagram for pics
    @chriscentro

I’ve never used the Olympus system but I’ve heard good things so I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Check out the PPN podcast, one of the hosts - Scott Bourne - uses Olympus and swears by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information