SLR or P&S or Phone camera

Thread: SLR or P&S or Phone camera

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SLR or P&S or Phone camera

I used to use an older Nikon with an 85 macro for watch images then bought a Nikon L830 and now use my I-phone 6+. I like the Iphone's ability to upload instantly to dropbox from whereever I am, but the camera part is not flxible enough to get better pics like getting good lume from Ball watches. What suggestions do you all have? Sony A-7? with macro?

Re: SLR or P&S or Phone camera

Nikon micro 60mm lens on a DSLR works nicely for me. An iPhone camera is convenient, but for tight shots of watch dials, the micro lens is a great way to go. The Nikon micro 105mm is excellent also but it's heavier and quite a bit more expensive.

Michael

I think either a dslr or mirrorless with interchangeable lenses and a macro lens are the way to go. There are some manufacturers out there that produce macro lens attachments for an iPhone, so you could go that route if you're looking to save some cash, but I think you won't get the same results that you can get with a "real" camera and a macro lens. I shoot with a Fuji mirrorless and 60mm macro (90mm equivalent) and get pretty decent results. For the best possible results you'd want to go with a full frame Nikon and their stellar 200 mm f4 macro lens.
    Last edited by mpbrada; October 20th, 2015 at 06:40.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Providing you know how to use it an SLR is the way to go, and it sounds like you do.

But yes sadly the phone is very convenient. For sharing just use the phone. To really go to town for yourself use an SLR

For more commercial type photos, I use a D750 with a 90mm macro or the 85mm tilt shift (for maximum depth of field).

For wrist shots or general shooting, I use a Fuji XT10 and a 35mm 1.4. I also bought the Fuji extension tube for $80 that turns it into a 1:2 macro.

I think for maximum quality, stick with a DSLR but definitely look into the mirrorless offerings for a quality / lighter / smaller alternative. The Fuji and Olympus ones are frequently recommended.
    Omega Bond SMP 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Reduced | Steinhart OVM v1 | Lew and Huery Cerberus | Maranez Layan | Seiko Pogue | Orient Star Seeker GMT | Melbourne Portsea | Seiko Alpinist (SARB017) | Alpha Paul Newman | Orient Bambino | Obris Morgan Explorer II | Fossil CH2912

You can also try a manual camera app that will lock focus, and a tripod mount for the iphone. There are also bluetooth shutter releases available. The iphone camera is fantastic, about where point and shoot cameras were 5 years ago imho.

Hello! iPhone cameras produces good shots too but if you want a better one like a DSLR, you may want to try a Nikon D5100 with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX is currently one of the best and affordable all purpose prime lens for this camera model. We have been using such camera and lens for a long time already.

]For more commercial type photos, I use a D750 with a 90mm macro or the 85mm tilt shift (for maximum depth of field).

That seems like the best alternative- I can use it for shots of the watch and boxes and then get closeups of the dial while not having to be right on top as I would with a 55 macro or one of those multifocal things. I just ordered a Nikon 3200 so if I don't like it I can give it to my son who uses is so much that his current image count is over 1.5mil- he probably needs a new one anyway. Then I have to find what 90 macro goes with that camera- any ideas which model of the 90 macro work with it?

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    This topic came up earlier. Maybe not.
    I'm about to ramp back up to a pro camera kit after a 9 month purge. During the purge, I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for shooting. Not bad and super addictive thanks to convenience. I really only miss the wide lenses and teles of my pro kit. Here are some samples of my smart phone pics and to see what I've done with point and shoot Nikons.....
    Www.blink007.com
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

^it's good but lacking sharpness. Then again this is something that is only noticeable to those who know how to use an SLR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information