Still undecided about the lens stuff....???

Thread: Still undecided about the lens stuff....???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GJ

Still undecided about the lens stuff....???

I am so glad I finally made up my mind considdering the body.

But.....

I haven't made up my mind about what lenses I should get...

I would like to have one for:

* arround the house pictures ( is that the nifty ''fifty'' you all talk about?)
    * my nature walks ( nice animal close ups, a tele?)

What kind of lens you use for what kind of purpose?
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.....

GJ

Re: Still undecided about the lens stuff....???

Adrian posted a link that answered my questions..

http://photo.net/making-photographs/lens

Maybe it's interesting for others here as well..
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

Haf

Quote Originally Posted by GJ View Post
    * my nature walks ( nice animal close ups, a tele?)

What kind of lens you use for what kind of purpose?
    What kind of body are you going to buy?

The "nifty fifty" is a term that designates an affordable 50mm lens that usually sports a large aperture too, f/2.8 - f/1.8; most of these lenses offer great bang for the buck, while the f/1.4 versions are priced somewhat towards the premium side.
    You have to keep in mind that this term dates back from the film days. Some digital cameras of today use APS-C sized sensors (smaller than the surface of the 35mm film or the full frame digital cameras) that come in various crop values, Canon uses sensors of 1.6x in their budget cameras and 1.3x respectively for their 1D pro series), Nikon uses 1.5x sensors for anything older than the D700/D3/D3X models, while some manufacturers even use 2.0x crop sensors (4/3 cameras).

Let's take a cropped Nikon sensor for example, a classic 50mm lens mounted on such a camera will give you an effective field of view like a 75mm lens mounted on a film camera or a full frame digital camera (D700/D3/D3x).
    That means that if you want to obtain the same angle of you might want to buy a lens ranging in the 30-35mm area.

I might have a couple of suggestions for you in respect to what lenses might get the job done for you, but it's really important for me (or others) to know what kind of camera are you going to go with.

For what is worth at the moment I am using a Nikon D700 camera with quite a few lenses, if you want to have a quick look and see what I can do with it I have my website listed in my signature, from there links towards my flickr or photoforum.ru accounts are readily accessible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

GJ

Hey, thanks for your input.

I am going to get me a Canon 50D in a week or two..
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

Haf

In this case I think you have two options:
    • go big and splash out some money on top quality stuff like a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as a general walk around lens + a good tele lens in the 70-200mm area (Canon makes 4 of these, f/4 with/without IS, f/2.8 with/without IS). While you are at it you might also throw in a 50mm f/1.4 USM (the f/1.8 is not so great, the lack of USM makes it miss the focus a lot on virtually any Canon body) or a 35mm f/2 for some low light photography
    • start with a cheap kit lens like the 18-55mm IS (don't go for the version without IS, it's not as good) or an "advanced" and more expensive kit lens like the old 17-85mm IS or with some of the new (but a tad more expensive) offerings like 18-135mm IS or 15-85mm IS

I think the second option works out for most of the people, after using the kit lens for some time you will figure out what kind of lenses you need in respect to focal length, large and constant aperture versus slow or variable aperture, build quality and focusing capabilities.

GJ

Thanks for your advice, I will give it a serious thought..
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by GJ View Post
    The 'nifty fifty' is, as noted earlier, a cheap 50mm prime (non-zoom) that has a large aperture; 1.8 for the Canon series. It's a fun lens because it allows you to get the kind of shots you won't get out of your kit or average walkabout lens. If you're going to get a Canon body, assume you'll buy this one too (it's so cheap) just for fun and experimentation. It was worth every cent when I was a beginner, as I could make extremely cool bokeh or shallow depth of field shots with it, which is quite impressive to anyone who's new to dSLRs. And it's very useful in lowlight situations where you can't flash, like clubs or parties. The walking around to compose is going to be annoying after a while though...

Personally I have the 17-85 IS as a walkabout lens. It's reasonably affordable and has enough wide and enough zoom to allow me to make a variety of shots without having to walk every time I want to change the composition. You'll want a good tele for the far ranges though...

Quote Originally Posted by Haf View Post
    In this case I think you have two options:
    • go big and splash out some money on top quality stuff like a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as a general walk around lens + a good tele lens in the 70-200mm area (Canon makes 4 of these, f/4 with/without IS, f/2.8 with/without IS). While you are at it you might also throw in a 50mm f/1.4 USM (the f/1.8 is not so great, the lack of USM makes it miss the focus a lot on virtually any Canon body) or a 35mm f/2 for some low light photography
    • start with a cheap kit lens like the 18-55mm IS (don't go for the version without IS, it's not as good) or an "advanced" and more expensive kit lens like the old 17-85mm IS or with some of the new (but a tad more expensive) offerings like 18-135mm IS or 15-85mm IS

I think the second option works out for most of the people, after using the kit lens for some time you will figure out what kind of lenses you need in respect to focal length, large and constant aperture versus slow or variable aperture, build quality and focusing capabilities.
    Don't forget the much-loved Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. No IS, but you do get constant f/2.8. Some more reach would be nice, too, but that depends on your own shooting style. You're probably just going to have to get used to the idea that you're going to buy a few lenses, decide you don't like some of them, sell them, and get something else. Several times. Everyone's goodie bag has different stuff in it to suit their own shooting style.
    Last edited by SquishyPanda; October 9th, 2009 at 05:39.

Haf

I know the Tamron 17-50mm and the 28-75mm lenses have a lot of fans, but one thing I have learned since I have been into photography is that you always get what you pay for. This lens (and its newer sibling with IS) has great optics, but the build quality and mechanics are very poor and focusing is somewhat slow and inconsistent. Also, sample variation is real a problem.

I'm not bashing Tamron or the other budget 3rd party brands, it's just a heads-up and a piece of advice from a guy like me that has owned and tried a lot of equipment. I have a Tamron lens myself, the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 without the built in focusing motor, but I bought it fully aware of its quirks: slow and inconsistent focusing, cheap build quality and mechanics, front or back focusing issues (I tried four of these lenses at my local shop), I would not mount this thing on a body that has no micro AF adjustments because (it used to be spot on after I had it serviced on my D300, but on my D700 it front focuses and I have to compensate it). You might wonder why I bought it… it has stellar optics, great bokeh, it’s cheap and on a full frame camera the 70-200mm range combined with a fast aperture can do wonders.

I must have gotten lucky with mine, then. I've heard complaints here and there, but I have a few friends that also have the 17-50, and they didn't have any issues, so I went ahead and bought one at their recommendation. The only other options in that focal length range were a Sigma and Canon. The Tamron was significantly better than the Sigma for not much more money, and the Canon is twice as much as the Tamron, which I just couldn't afford even if it made me breakfast every morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information