super simple, super cheap small object lightbox
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By phillyj

Thread: super simple, super cheap small object lightbox

super simple, super cheap small object lightbox

I'm not big on photography. I care, but not enough to own a nice Canon with macro lens, etc. My macro pics are usually just for forums or an ebay sale. I take them with a point and shoot Olympus which does a pretty good job. Recently, I came across the lightbox apparatus which provides more even lighting so you can take better pics. I found this link:

How to Make An Inexpensive Light Tent – DIY

Being lazy and only needing to shoot small objects, I created this:

Name:  PB210516.JPG
Views: 1121
Size:  1.13 MB

Thats my paper lightbox, made with a heavier card-stock for the frame and those thin papers you find in your packaged dress shirts. Again, being lazy, I didn't get proper lighting so on the left is my flourescent desk lamp and on the right is my Coleman High-power torch. Very simple but a great improvement to my photos. I think its better to have 2 desk lamps but I did a quick job with things in my room. Did I say it saves spaces since you can fold it and put it between your books:

Name:  PB210518.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  1.08 MB

Heres some I took, with black base or white:

Name:  PB210510.JPG
Views: 608
Size:  1.50 MB

Name:  PB210509.JPG
Views: 691
Size:  1.78 MB

Name:  PB210504.JPG
Views: 854
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  PB110471.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  1.04 MB

Everyone should make a lightbox. There is no excuse for poorly lit photos now. I'm going to make a better box later but this works for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tremec likes this.
    .:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:. .:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:. .:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:. .:.:..:.:..:.:.::..:.:.:.
    .:.:. Vintage Seiko 5 .:.:. Alpha Milsub .:.:. Boctok Komandirskie T34x .:.:. Paketa 24 World Time .:.:. HMT Pilot .:.:.:.::..::..:::.:.:..:.:.
    .::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..: :..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::. .::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..: :..::..::..:..:::..:..:.:.

Re: super simple, super cheap small object lightbox

Great job on those pictures. What Olympus model are you using to shoot the pictures? Any special setting?

Cheers,
    Packleader

A very interesting invention. Thank you for showing. : -!
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=126871&dateline=13389  88593

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cool! The picture of the Alpha came out really well.

Actually, compact cameras have a huge advantage in macro in that you don't need tiny apertures to get decent depth of field (due to the small sensor).

I would recommend you use the same type (flourescent, incandescent) lighting. Most cameras have trouble with getting the colors right in mixed lighting like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    Cool! The picture of the Alpha came out really well.

Actually, compact cameras have a huge advantage in macro in that you don't need tiny apertures to get decent depth of field (due to the small sensor).

I would recommend you use the same type (flourescent, incandescent) lighting. Most cameras have trouble with getting the colors right in mixed lighting like that.
    Yes, I'm using 2 fluorescent desk lamps now. I was really excited to get a photo so I used what I had. My pics are so much better now. Here are some recent shots. I'm working on collages now. I'll be posting them in the Russian forum soon.

Name:  sub_vostok.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  346.2 KB
    .:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:. .:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:. .:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:. .:.:..:.:..:.:.::..:.:.:.
    .:.:. Vintage Seiko 5 .:.:. Alpha Milsub .:.:. Boctok Komandirskie T34x .:.:. Paketa 24 World Time .:.:. HMT Pilot .:.:.:.::..::..:::.:.:..:.:.
    .::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..: :..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::. .::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..: :..::..::..:..:::..:..:.:.

I'm going to set this up ASAP. Thanks for sharing...

RS

Follow Me

That's a great idea. It's interesting to see kind of the "behind the scenes" of some watch photography, where you'd just assume it's an expensive studio setup and you come to find out that it's card stock and tissue paper with some desk lamps!

Nice job!

I think I'll have to make something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Packleader View Post
    Great job on those pictures. What Olympus model are you using to shoot the pictures? Any special setting?

Cheers,
    Packleader
    It's just the Olympus FE5000 using the "Super Macro" setting and Portrait setting, no flash, auto-exposure. This was the best setting for me. I do some post-processing with a simple photo editor.

I've been told to put the watch on a gray or light-blue material to better highlight the outline of the watch.

The thing with the Alpha watch is that the dial is not deep black. You can actually see the individual dots if you hold it under sunlight. The black seems to be applied with a printer. It's not reflective and so the camera doesn't show use on the crystal.

Thread Information