Taking my Fujifilm S700 back tomorrow ...

Thread: Taking my Fujifilm S700 back tomorrow ...

Taking my Fujifilm S700 back tomorrow ...

I really like the camera and how it handled but I can't get past the purple fringing issues inherent to the S700 (As you can see clearly on the baseball picture). I know that I might be expecting a bit much from a $150 camera, but I think I can do a bit better.

I love the two different macro modes that it offered and they did work quite well. Still, I miss shutter speeds above 4 seconds and a bit faster shooting (shot to shot) would help as well.

Right now, my budget is a bit tight and I really don't want to spend over the $150 that I spent on the S700. I am looking at the next step up, the S1000 but I have no idea if it has the same problems the S700 had.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My biggest problem is that I have an Uncle who used to work under the Joint Chiefs as a designer and now works as a photographer for Homeland Security (Many of you might have seen his work on the Discovery Channel: High Tech War on Terror) ... Every time he comes back with his $15K+ setup he has running, I want a little more out of my cheap cameras.

Here are a few pictures from the camera that will be going back tomorrow:

Motorola • Moto 360 v1 SS
    Invicta
    • Grand Diver 3047
    Invicta • Pro Abyss Diver
    Kronos • British SBS PVD Diver
    Luminox • Colormark
    Seiko • Black Monster
    Seiko • 007
    ----------------------

Re: Taking my Fujifilm S700 back tomorrow ...

The images don't seem too bad, actually better than I expected. Seems like there would be more chromatic aberations on the first grand diver image than on the baseball image.

Check out the Canon A series cameras, A720, A580 etc. Nice cameras available with image stabilization and tons of manual control which it seems you are looking for.
    Oakley TimeBomb Carbon Fiber
    Seiko Premier SNP003
    Bernhardt Globemaster #228 Green/Silver
    Wenger Swiss Military Commando Chrono
    Casio G-Shock DW6900
    Benarus Moray
    #43 Silver dial/brushed

Pics of the Watch Collection

Thanks for the suggestion ... I had a Canon A580 before this last camera and I accidentally dropped it on a fishing trip. (Strap broke on my wrist) It was a decent camera but I like bigger cameras ... they fit my hands better and I tend to drop them less.

I looked at the Finepix S1000fd today and crossed that one of the list. Right now, I am considering the Kodak Z812IS. I really like the fact that it has a HD movie capabilities as well. It reviewed quite well on some of the review sites so that is another plus.

Anyways ... any other suggestions? Looking for a sub-SLR style camera. A bit larger body and 10x plus zoom.

Invicta
    • Grand Diver 3047
    Luminox • Colormark
    Seiko • Black Monster
    Seiko • 007
    ----------------------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm partial to Canon and always have been, but lots of other companies make some nice products now. Panasonic and Kodak I've stayed away from due to past experiences, however the quality of their stuff may have changed.

If you havn't already, check out www.dpreview.com it's by far the best camera website on the net.
    Oakley TimeBomb Carbon Fiber
    Seiko Premier SNP003
    Bernhardt Globemaster #228 Green/Silver
    Wenger Swiss Military Commando Chrono
    Casio G-Shock DW6900
    Benarus Moray
    #43 Silver dial/brushed

Pics of the Watch Collection

My gut tells me to go with a brand that's also successful in the DSLR market and makes their own lenses. I'd think a Canon or Nikon P&S would have better optics, and therefore less chromatic aberration.

My gut tells me a lot of silly things sometimes, though.

I decided to go with the Kodak Z812 IS. I looked at Nikon and Canon super zoom cameras over the weekend and they were a little out of my reach this go around. I do agree about Nikon and Canon cameras though ... and when I get a SLR, that will be the direction that I will be looking.

Thanks for all the suggestions though ... Helped me be a little more critical with my purchase.

Invicta
    • Grand Diver 3047
    Luminox • Colormark
    Seiko • Black Monster
    Seiko • 007
    ----------------------

Thread Information