Taking pictures of watches....How is it done properly?

Thread: Taking pictures of watches....How is it done properly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Taking pictures of watches....How is it done properly?

My first months on Watchuseek have been wonderful! I have enjoyed doing research and exploring this world.

Taking photos and posting them is another story. I have been taking photos with my iPhone 4 camera and they turn out fine. Actually there pretty good considering I know nothing about photography.

Here's the problem, WUS has a limit of 1.9 MB for Jpeg photos and all my iPhone pics that are worthy of posting are above 2 MB. This is what I do. I take the photos, import to iPhoto, then upload the file. But about 90% of the time all my photos are too large. If I email them from my phone, they are way to small.

My questions are:
    1. how do most of you take your pictures, post them, and stay under the size limit?
    2. What cameras do you use
    3. What software do you use on your computers?

Thanks, Joe

Re: Taking pictures of watches....How is it done properly?

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe303 View Post
    My questions are:
    1. how do most of you take your pictures, post them, and stay under the size limit?
    2. What cameras do you use
    3. What software do you use on your computers?
    1- I try to set up the pic as best as I can (and I'm not very good yet), process them on my PC, upload to Photobucket, post to WUS. I resize them in Photoshop before uploading to Photobucket. (change image size from 2500 to 1000 pixel width, process as necessary, then save as 10 High Quality, not 12 Maximum quality. That brings it down from 2MB to around 250KB)
    2- mostly I use an Olympus 1030SW point-and shoot. Not the best camera for sharpness and colour saturation, but I can take it snorkelling and surfing, drop and bash it about without worrying about damage. Occasionally, I use my cellphone camera or Canon Digital Rebel XTi. Same software for processing as with my Olympus.
    3- I use PhotoShop6 on my netbook and laptop, PhotoShop CS3 on my desktop. Photobucket also had some basic resizing and processing tools to fix/resize your pics online.

Hope this helps.

~Sherry.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks for the info! That seems like a really nice camera. I cant see my self spending $500 on a camera (amazon price). I just figured out how to resize images with preview of photoshop, and I can still use my iphone. But finding a way to do it faster with a better camera (and staying under $200) would be nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, another method would be to upload pics directly from the camera or phone to Photobucket (or another online storage site), and use their processing software in lieu of PhotoShop. Quick and easy. There are decent cameras for around your price, like this Olympus or this Canon.

S.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Not on their crown and chronos upright.

You can post them direct to Flickr etc from a recent iPhoto version.

An alternative is to set up a free Dropbox account, export the photos to the Public folder of your dropbox and then get the public URL for the file with a right click (context menu).

To export the files in a smaller size: select Export from the iPhoto menu. You can choose a size and a quality, for example, Medium for size works well.

Those look like good cameras! Just as long as i could take decent close up pictures with them. Thanks again.

MH434, that's a good suggestion but I am a complete noob to file exportations and uploadings and saving this file here then there and all that jazz. Im sure it works, but that sounds a bit complicated for me...

Watchbreath, could clarify your comment?

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe303 View Post
    Watchbreath, could clarify your comment?
    He probably meant that you should not take pictures of watches sitting on their crowns (much like people), and that you should photograph chronograph watches upright.

Ah, I see

1. I use an image hosting site called Photobucket, so far I haven't exceeded their bandwith limit and I have hundreds of watch photos.

2. I use a cheap Sony 7.2 megapixel point and shoot that has a macro feature for closeup shots. Works okay for me and is as simple as I want to learn about picture taking for the moment.

3. I import the photos into my MacBook Pro iPhoto software which has image editing features built in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information