Thinking of upgrading my D60 to a D300s... - Page 2

Thread: Thinking of upgrading my D60 to a D300s...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Thinking of upgrading my D60 to a D300s...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    There isn't really any need - Ken Rockwell on his Nikon kit site thinks there's no point as its essentially identical in picture quality.

But its a step up as a camera - and is a semi-pro type camera versus good prosumer:
    Build quality - the 300 is a full magnesium shell covered in rubber rather than an aluminium frame covered in plastic. It is also better sealed against rain (though not like the D3)
    Autofocus - 51 point versus 9 - this is the same as on D700 & D3 and is awesome
    Iterations - built for 150,000 shutter iterations versus D90 100,000
    Balance I have a heavy metal pro lens, 24-70, the perfect choice for the type of street/docu photography I do. It needs a strong weighty camera body for stability. It would be imbalanced and weird feeling on the D90 - this is even more the case if you used a longer pro tele-lens like 70-200 or a fixed 300+ used by twitchers. The lens needs counter balancing I think by a weighty body
    Operation - the D300 assumes you know how to photograph via regulating shutter speed or Aperture/depth of field. It doesn't have that auto-knob which pre-selects settings. This forces you to think more about the shot yourself, not leaving it to the lazy auto setting. That is a real plus in my books, I am becoming a better photographer by making mistakes with DOF and needing to think about distances etc

The down-side is, its a beast - the very size and strength and robustness means its indiscreet and not practical in certain contexts. But then, the D90 probably wouldn't be also and its a compact needed for those occasions

In comparison terms - the D90 to the D300 is like comparing a standard no date sub to a Sea Dweller. Both do the job and do it brilliantly, both have essentially the same guts, but one is just a little more gggrrrrrr than the other. The D3 would be a DSSD :)

si
    Excellent comments. Thanks for the write-up, Si. At this point, I think my taste (and experience) is probably leaning more towards a no-date Sub. It's probably still a good step up from my Canon G10, and I should be able to get at least a couple years out of it - what do you think?

Haf

The D90 is great for you as your first dslr, it's a serious camera that will keep you on a high learning curve for some time so that you won't feel limited by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haf View Post
    The D90 is great for you as your first dslr, it's a serious camera that will keep you on a high learning curve for some time so that you won't feel limited by it.
    Thanks, mate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Instead of upgrading the camera, have you thought about upgrading your lenses instead?

If you are using the kit lens for example, there are multiple options available for the cost of a d300 or less that could make a noticeable difference - something like the 17-55VR or faster prime glass could give you a huge advantage in lower light, and as an extra bonus will hold value and usefulness a lot longer compared to a body that will be outdated in a few years time...

Quote Originally Posted by narcosynthesis View Post
    Instead of upgrading the camera, have you thought about upgrading your lenses instead?

If you are using the kit lens for example, there are multiple options available for the cost of a d300 or less that could make a noticeable difference - something like the 17-55VR or faster prime glass could give you a huge advantage in lower light, and as an extra bonus will hold value and usefulness a lot longer compared to a body that will be outdated in a few years time...
    That's a good call
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

you look around for any D200's left ? factory refurbs etc . I stepped from D70 to a D200 a few years ago .. I love it , cant justify a D300 or any FX bodies yet .

Thinking of upgrading my D60 to a D300s...

The D200 was an epic camera in its day - and its build quality, like the newer prosumer models D300+ means it will last for years. People loved them and those who bought them have kept hold of them, so they dont appear too often for sale.

Its reputation means it still commands decent prices used. Only 5 years old as a model, but that is 2 generations old in technological advance. The image technology in it has been surpassed by the D90 - let alone the brilliant AF system found in the D300.

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

I wonder how the D300s stacks up against the D700?

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    I wonder how the D300s stacks up against the D700?
    If money no object - i'd have loved a D700. Full frame, pro build, high ISO etc but it requires decent lens. I decided for my use the £600 premium over D300 was too high and I couldn't justify it

si

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information