Tripod suggestions. What does everyone use? - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tripod suggestions. What does everyone use?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Tripod suggestions. What does everyone use?

I use a Benro travel angel, because that's what I have. Here's a quick shot of my completely professional, totally immaculate workspace - otherwise known as my garage workbench...

Name:  P1010206.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  169.1 KB
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Banned

DragonDan, thanks mate for the insight to your studio. I love it. (I love sheds, garages, especially peeks into other peoples. It is amazing how revealing a garage can be as to the the man that owns it. Nice vice by the way.)
    You have no idea of how such a pic gives me hope and inspiration. It's the nuts and bolts enthusiast setups that I am interested in, not the professional, multi thousand dollars ones.
    Thanks to Tomee's example and my own initiative, I have picked myself up a nice 2nd. hand 100mm macro USM 2.8, which is a great duel use lens (macro and portrait) and a nice compact Velbon tripod that fits with my coffee table arrangement cum studio... I am interested in the camera mount that is attached to the "travel angel" The ones I had a look at on the net didn't come with that sort of mount.
    I would love to see any other non professional set ups if you wish to share your secrets. Garage pics encouraged.
    Thanks everyone for your assistance, it has and is, highly appreciated.
    Mark

That is called a macro rail. It's used to micro-adjust the forward/ back position of the camera. Much easier than moving the whole tripod around. There are professional versions, although I found this one on the 'bay from a dude with a milling machine. I cannot find his name, but he is pretty prolific - I'm sure you'll come across him. The price was pretty reasonable.
    Good luck!
    PS: post photos of your progress!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I use a manfrotto for my day to day photography, but i have recently purchased a SLR gorilla pod and love it!
    Its so versatile, especially for the odd shots when you are shooting yourself

I use a Gitzo 6X Carbon tripod since a while, but I'm not satisfied by the head ball, I'm looking for a new one more confortable with quick release and lightweight.

Usually for macro pict I use a lens Canon 100mm f2.8.

Banned

So I picked up a second hand Canon 100mm macro USM 2.8 with a Velbon Tripod, CX 620 mini, anyways, sitting on my lounge, watching a movie, playing around with a bed lamp (fluro spiral globe?) and just clicking away... I love lume shots, thanks to Tomee.
    A portable light box is on the way... And then RAW, the unknown, at the moment. Thanks guys for all your help

nice one Mark

keep shooting those macros :)

I use a Manfrotto 190XB Pro and a Manfrotto 498 RC2. Skip the 190XB Pro if you want something light as Manfrotto and Gitzo (as well as many others ) make models with carbon fiber legs that weigh far less. Otherwise the regular Manfrotto gear is easily found at a discount and is very nicely made. The 109XB Pro dies allow you to fully extend the center column and then orient it horizontally (basically it lays across the leg junction as opposed to through it) which can be handy for creative work and macro.

-JS

I know I'm coming to the party late, but this is what I've learned over the years:

A good tripod makes your life so much easier that it's worth spending some real money on one. Assuming you take photography seriously. Even if it's just a hobby. The least I would recommend would be a Manfrotto 190-something (they keep changing the model name, but the basic tripod legs stay the same), and for macro work a good three-way head would be easier to use than a ball head. Either way, I wouldn't skimp on the head, either, it's as important as the tripod legs. The good news is that a good tripod will last you a lifetime. Literally.

Unfortunately for us affected, photography gear is expensive, but I have never regretted buying the best gear I can afford. I don't know your particular Velbon tripod, but it if ever starts getting loose and wonky, do yourself a favour and spend the money on a Manfrotto. They are the best value in tripods today (and have been for decades now). Note: They are the best value, not the cheapest. There's a difference. I keep one as backup and will never sell it, even though I've moved onto better (and way more expensive) gear. The little Manfrotto is just that good!
    JohnF likes this.

I use a CullMann large ball head on top of a Velbon tripod. The ball head cost about the same as the tripod.
    The combination allows me to get my camera (Canon G10) deep into my light tent with great flexibility.

jose-CostaRica likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information