Tripod suggestions. What does everyone use?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tripod suggestions. What does everyone use?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Tripod suggestions. What does everyone use?

Hi there.
    I've been searching through this forum trying to find what everyone is using for tripods.
    It seems that watch photography is fast becoming my main purpose for my camera, so with that in mind what do you people suggest and or use.
    Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
    regards
    mark

Banned

Re: Taking video like this

Great video, and I am in awe of the smooth sweep of that Seikos second hand. One only wonders what BPH that movement uses. Yet still, I am puzzled as to its relevance to my question. Whixh was... What tripod do/did? you use...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I use some unknown brand, cheap as heck I guess. For watch photography there is no need to go spending large sums of money on a tripod since you very seldom will find yourself taking watchpics in a hurricane...

Banned

So do you, or anyone, use a regular size tripod, or a small one. Just wondering how people get so close to their watches for those beautiful Macro shots. I suppose a tripod and the watch sitting on a table would do, but I wonder if a small tripod would make this easier.
    My next question what is a good Macro lens for starters. It is so confusing all the different variations. I have a Canon 500D

Quote Originally Posted by yande View Post
    So do you, or anyone, use a regular size tripod, or a small one. Just wondering how people get so close to their watches for those beautiful Macro shots. I suppose a tripod and the watch sitting on a table would do, but I wonder if a small tripod would make this easier.
    My next question what is a good Macro lens for starters. It is so confusing all the different variations. I have a Canon 500D
    hey Mark,

i have a velbon sherpa which you can detach the middle pole and screw it to a table.

and the pole detached

and heres how i do some watch shots

as for macro lens, when i was shooting with Canon you could not go past the 100mm macro USM 2.8. was nice and sharp although focusing was slow but that hardly matters when you're shooting macro

Banned

Thanks Thomas, Great information. I have seen your end results and I'm pretty sure that is the route I will take. The Canon lens is perhaps not the cheapest route I could take, but I think it will negate some disappointment in the mean time as ultimately that lens is where I would end up any ways. Your tripod attachment makes a lot of sense.
    Once again.. thanks
    regards

Re: Tripod suggestions. What does everyone use?

I am using russian M42 lenses with M42-EOS adaptor and macro rings. You can search ebay for old macro lenses which usually cost 30-100 USD. There are adaptors available for lenses from Olympus OM, M42, nikon ... so for 100 USD you can have good macro kit. The quality of the tripod is important for outdoor shots, since the cheap ones can fall with your camera, but for inside photos the cheapest tripod is good enough.

My setup looks like this

I find that a dedicated macro lens is very nice for watch photogrpahy and use a Nikon 60mm F2.8
    Not gonna help you much though since you`ve got a canon, but maybe look into the Tamron 90mm, I hear nothing but good things about it.

Banned

Thanks Rambam, I've been a fan of your photography skills ever since I saw them. Thanks for the heads up. Spotted one a Tamron on EBay, reason for selling was due to upgrade, I then noted that he recently bought a Canon 100mm USM 2.8! I am still open to watching how the Tamron plays out. About half the price of a Canon.
    regards
    EDIT- Wow, just checked out your Flickr portfolio. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful shots. Very inspirational and motivational.
    Last edited by yande; May 21st, 2011 at 15:27.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information