Tutorial: Photo Shoot for Swiss Legend

Thread: Tutorial: Photo Shoot for Swiss Legend

Tutorial: Photo Shoot for Swiss Legend

Here's a photo and set shots for Swiss Legend "Rubber Ducky".

I have tried to included as many steps as possible. However, the idea for the tutorial came after many of the shots had been completed. On the next session, I will show more detail.

1) This is the overall lighting set in the rough form. Just a general placement of lights. Note the harshness of the main light. No detail on the dial at all. Since this watch is white/white, the plan is for a bright, sunny look to the image.

2) Close-up shot using the lighting above. Note the dark dial and dead steel. No pop at all.

3) The main light has been flagged to prevent flare on the camera lens. A medium softbox at 2 f-stops below the main light was added above and behind the set to bring up the overall brightness and to extend the highlights along the top of the case. I added in two white fill cards from #100 bright white card stock. Remember that most papers will have a blue tint. Try to get the whitest paper available for accurate color. Since no light is actual shining on the dial--only reflective light--this is most important.

4)With all lights off, shoot the lume. This was 15 sec at f22. Make sure you don't change the f-stop. Keep it exactly the same as the full shots. Otherwise, the lume will have incorrect depth of field and may not even fit into the positions on the hands.

5)First shot with lighting shown in #3. Not too far off. The lack of contrast in the dial grabs me first. Also, I see areas that will need to be retouched. My wife has been wearing this watch for a couple of months now. I always try to shoot straight from the box if possible. It speeds it up! The crown needs to be pushed in and the highlights on the pushers need to be smoothed.

6) Same photo but I have selected the dial. Feather the selection and the copy/paste onto a new layer. Choose "multiply" as the blend mode.

7) Here's the new dial added in the blending mode "multiply" I lowered the opacity back to about 50% here as well so it didn't get too dark. See how the punch comes back?

8)Final image. I know, I skipped some steps. I'll fix that next time. Here I have added a layer mask to bring in the detail to the top of the band. I also masked off the three sub dials in a darker copy of the image and dropped them in with a low opacity. I wanted to see more of the circles. The crown is pushed in and the highlights extended and cleaned up. All of the markers around the bezel were grungy so they were smoothed out individually. I added the lume on top and masked out the black around it. Lowered the opacity here too so they wouldn't be so bright. Finally, I added the watch into some bright white feathers. I did need to selectively adjust different hue/saturation levels--removing almost all blue and red. The image is essentially a black and white with only slight color from the lume and the natural bluish tint to the steel.

Last edited by SRHookEm; February 2nd, 2008 at 15:36.

Re: Tutorial: Photo Shoot for Swiss Legend

Thanks for the excellent tutorial:)

Thank for share all this info...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

SRHookEm: Did you push the crown back or did you Photoshop the crown back?

Quote Originally Posted by Grootmokum View Post
    SRHookEm: Did you push the crown back or did you Photoshop the crown back?
    I used Photoshop to move it back.

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

That's a great guide. Thanks for sharing.

I am having trouble seeing the pictures. Is anybody else?
    Regards

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by giosdad View Post
    I am having trouble seeing the pictures. Is anybody else?
    Fixed.

Thread Information