Venturing into the DSLR world

Thread: Venturing into the DSLR world

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Venturing into the DSLR world

Hi everyone,

I have been interested in having a camera that affords me a lot more flexibility to experiment and "play" (long exposures, different lenses, raw shooting, image processing and so on). Also want to further an interest in wildlife photography that has been curtailed since the split with GF and her camera!

I have spoken to a friends and am looking at the current setup:

Second hand Canon EOS 50D (with or without the kit lens 17-85mm one)
    A nifty fifty F1.8
    A 70-400 USM F4.0
    Also considering something super-wideangle like a Sigma 10-20mm or the Tamron equivalent.

Are there any glaring inadequacies here and does anyone have any advice as to where money might be better spent? All advice appreciated.

Please note that HD video in an SLR doesn't interest me and an alloy body to the camera is a must.

Re: Venturing into the DSLR world

Quote Originally Posted by coombsfh View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been interested in having a camera that affords me a lot more flexibility to experiment and "play" (long exposures, different lenses, raw shooting, image processing and so on). Also want to further an interest in wildlife photography that has been curtailed since the split with GF and her camera!

I have spoken to a friends and am looking at the current setup:

Second hand Canon EOS 50D (with or without the kit lens 17-85mm one)
    A nifty fifty F1.8
    A 70-400 USM F4.0
    Also considering something super-wideangle like a Sigma 10-20mm or the Tamron equivalent.

Are there any glaring inadequacies here and does anyone have any advice as to where money might be better spent? All advice appreciated.

Please note that HD video in an SLR doesn't interest me and an alloy body to the camera is a must.
    The above looks good and will provide a really great platform (the 50D is a great camera, actually much better than the newer 60D in my opinion). I might suggest getting the 70-200 F2.8 IS model instead of the 70-400. If you need 400mm you can add the Canon 2x teleconvertor and still get great results. Remember that a 200mm lens on a 1.6x sensor camera is effectively a 300mm. There a lenses that are legendary and the 70-200 F2.8 (either IS or non-IS) is one of those lenses (the 85 1.2 L is another).

I have a 24-105L f/4 which is very good walkaround lens. I also have the 70-200L f/4, which stays in the bag most of the time. I say skip the 17-85mm and the 70-200L f/4, and get a 24-105L.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

50D - good camera. If you're interested in wildlife photography, you need patience, a great tripod and really expensive glass. To start out, definitely look into the 70-200
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

2nd the 70-200 you cant go wrong with that lens either IS or Non, they are both tack sharp

sorry guys,
    I meant 70-200mm F4.0 L series.

Just trawling ebay and classified adds to decide a good price (GBP) for a body and then seeing how common and costly each lens is...

If you are just getting started, don't worry about getting a ton of lenses yet. Figure out what types of pictures you take most, then get lenses to suit that range (macro, long distance, landscape, etc..). A great way to start would be to get the camera body, a decent walkaround lens like a Tamron 18-270mm, and maybe one prime lens (the 1.8 nifty fifty is a good one). Spend some time taking pictures of everything, figure out what you like and what you don't like. As much as having a bag full of lenses might sound like fun, its a real hassle to carry around (esp if you will be taking outdoor pictures), so having one good walkaround all-purpose lens to start off with is the best way to learn.

Update: scratch the 18-270 - thats for the non full-frame dSLRs. But you get the idea.
    Lots of dive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    If you are just getting started, don't worry about getting a ton of lenses yet. Figure out what types of pictures you take most, then get lenses to suit that range (macro, long distance, landscape, etc..). A great way to start would be to get the camera body, a decent walkaround lens like a Tamron 18-270mm, and maybe one prime lens (the 1.8 nifty fifty is a good one). Spend some time taking pictures of everything, figure out what you like and what you don't like. As much as having a bag full of lenses might sound like fun, its a real hassle to carry around (esp if you will be taking outdoor pictures), so having one good walkaround all-purpose lens to start off with is the best way to learn.

Update: scratch the 18-270 - thats for the non full-frame dSLRs. But you get the idea.
    Thanks Eric,
    I believe I am guilty of "kid in a sweet-shop" syndrome and you have highlighted it.
    I have to finish my dissertation and a few other essays as well as a group project before I take the plunge. Nevertheless, I will take the plunge and kepp you posted on what I go for...

Kind thanks,

Fred.

If you want more depth of field in a prime I've got the Canon 50 1.4 that I haven't used in years - haven't posted it for sale, but I'd sell at a reasonable price. I bougth the Sigma 50 1.4 "Art" for use with my Canon 5D.

The 24-105L is a nice walk around lens, for the 70-200 you may want to consider a 2.8 instead of the 4.0, I bough the Sigma 2.8 the first time around and it served me well for waterpolo and other kids sports - if you're planning on doing anything inside.

If you want more depth of field in a prime I've got the Canon 50 1.4 that I haven't used in years - haven't posted it for sale, but I'd sell at a reasonable price. I bougth the Sigma 50 1.4 "Art" for use with my Canon 5D.

The 24-105L is a nice walk around lens, for the 70-200 you may want to consider a 2.8 instead of the 4.0, I bough the Sigma 2.8 the first time around and it served me well for waterpolo and other kids sports - if you're planning on doing anything inside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information