Watch photography backdrops, fabrics, colors, setups, etc.
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Watch photography backdrops, fabrics, colors, setups, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Watch photography backdrops, fabrics, colors, setups, etc.

So I've decided to try and create some sort of a setup for watch photography, something simple and nothing fancy or over the top (to be read expensive) mostly for watches that I'll end up listing on ebay or just trying to be a wannabe pro.

I want some suggestions and, most importantly, pictures/examples of what you guys use. What type of fabrics do you use for your backdrop ? Do you prefer harder materials such as wood ? Do you just hang a piece of fabric to a wall or do you have some sort of frame that holds the fabric ? What colors and textures do you/do you not use ?

At the moment I'm just fishing for examples so that I see what fits my needs.

I know that there are kits and tents out there but at the moment I think I just prefer something simpler.

For now, I'm mostly leaning towards using some type or types of fabrics but I'm not sure what to stay away from and I've also seen that some colors are good while some don't blend very well. I guess lighting and the watch itself influence this.

I think I'd also like to have some frame that I can hang the fabric and create an "L" shape but I'm not sure if I can find this somewhere, so I might have to make one myself...

As for lighting I'm planning on using natural sunlight for now, to keep it simple...

So share your experiences, examples, knowledge, opinions and I'll greatly appreciate them! Links with various products to give an idea are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Watch photography backdrops, fabrics, colors, setups, etc.

I went to the local Fabric Mart and got some black, white, and grey cloth to use as backs. Try not to get fabric thats reflective or shiny. For small stuff I just use one of my shirts.
    Different colored paper or foam core is good too. You can also use white foam core as a reflector.
    I try not to use back drops/colors that will distract.
    As far as hanging the back drops, I just tape them to the wall or drape over a box. Or just lay out and shoot straight down.
    cleef16 likes this.
    I take pictures too...
    Oris fanboy:
    Aquis
    Diver Date
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Miles Tonneau Chrono
    Frank Sinatra
    wanted: Jumping Hour, regulateur

JEV

I use IKEA rollup curtains. Works like a charm!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ive been considering making a mini studio set up for photographing watches also. The options are endless.

Tripod, various lights with diffusers helps but I also do a lot of natural light photos. Here is an example of my watch in water during the early morning

Great idea for a thread!

As a semi-professional photographer with over $10,000 worth of photography and lighting equipment, I can guarantee you that a light cube setup is going to be the easiest, and most effective way to photograph something as complicated as a watches. Photographing watches is tricky as they are highly reflective, very irregular objects.

With a light tent, you can just place it outdoors in shade or sunlight and you'll end up with a very clean pictures with nondistracting reflections.

Neewer 24x24 inch/60x60 cm Photo Studio Shooting Tent Light Cube Diffusion Soft Box Kit with 4 Colors Backdrops (Red Dark Blue Black White) for Photography https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GKGGICC..._6MPExbVAS1ZC6

The stories you have about your watches make them much more valuable than they really are.

I asked this same question and got several of the same answers. I should start by saying my pictures are still sub par. However, I purchased a light box with 4 lights from Amazon. The best method I have used yet was from Ron...handle is O2fac7 or something like that. He takes beautiful pictures. He told me to put a black shirt in a show box put the watch in. Put it by a window with natural light. Find the direction with the least amount of reflection. Take the pictures on a tripod. Load into Picasa...edit and that's your free set up. Here is a pic taken of my explorer II using this method.

The he light box is probably great but here are the problems I have had with the light box (and I'm sure this all novice idiocy but hey your a novice). I can't get my white balance to match the artificwl light (even when setting the light balance). The light box is so sensitive that reflections from my camera ruin the picture. For example my camera has a red dot on it before I take a picture. The red light is captured in every pic the backdrops get linty and the lint shows up in the pics. I can usually get this out in editing but still annoying.

I have been experimenting with the light box but overal the set up for under $75 seems to be a little more complex than the shoe box method. Damasko was taken in the light box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cleef16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroy3 View Post
    I asked this same question and got several of the same answers. I should start by saying my pictures are still sub par. However, I purchased a light box with 4 lights from Amazon. The best method I have used yet was from Ron...handle is O2fac7 or something like that. He takes beautiful pictures. He told me to put a black shirt in a show box put the watch in. Put it by a window with natural light. Find the direction with the least amount of reflection. Take the pictures on a tripod. Load into Picasa...edit and that's your free set up. Here is a pic taken of my explorer II using this method.

The he light box is probably great but here are the problems I have had with the light box (and I'm sure this all novice idiocy but hey your a novice). I can't get my white balance to match the artificwl light (even when setting the light balance). The light box is so sensitive that reflections from my camera ruin the picture. For example my camera has a red dot on it before I take a picture. The red light is captured in every pic the backdrops get linty and the lint shows up in the pics. I can usually get this out in editing but still annoying.

I have been experimenting with the light box but overal the set up for under $75 seems to be a little more complex than the shoe box method. Damasko was taken in the light box.
    Here is one I just shot in a light box for comparison:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KA8A3913 (3200px - 85).jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	626.2 KB 
ID:	8649234
    cleef16 likes this.

When using a tent, do you guys have a tripor or just hold the camera or put it on something ? I severely need a tent as, often times natural light isn't enough and I have to increase exposure time and pictures come slightly... blured.

Quote Originally Posted by cleef16 View Post
    When using a tent, do you guys have a tripor or just hold the camera or put it on something ? I severely need a tent as, often times natural light isn't enough and I have to increase exposure time and pictures come slightly... blured.
    Tripod with very long shutter speeds.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information