Watch Photography Tips? - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Watch Photography Tips?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Watch Photography Tips?

wonderful - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
    jose-CostaRica likes this.

You say it's a Lumix point and shoot so I assume it's a S8. Maybe you know this already but remember you have to activate the Inteligent Resolution mode unless you are shooting in 1A. At the bottom of this page www.mkdigitaldirect.com there's instructions for a basic indoor set-up that you could gerry-rig without spending a lot of money. My understanding is the S8 gets good indoor noise suppresion results so you should be able to get some good shots. Also I've also found that the best shots arn't the planned ones. Understand your camera''s focal length, take a lot of shots, take the time to go through them with basic photo-editing and you should get a lot of shots you'll keep.

I always find my biggest mistake is not cleaning the watch properly before I take the photo! I wind up with perfect shots of dust, grime and fingerprints!
    Only a loafer can always tell you what the correct time is.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but a "shroud" around your camera will help eliminate distracting reflections. Me, I take my pics at and angle and find one of the black screens from my speakers work well to block a reflection. I haven't gotten so clever as to fix a stand or holder for the screen, so I set the timer on the camera (always using a Pedco tabletop/outdoor folding tripod, or a full size one) and holding the screen. Takes practice, but the results are unmistakable.

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    Generally speaking, f/stops between f/11 - f/22 work well (I normally shoot at f-11 to f/16). The idea is that the smaller the aperture (larger f/stop number) the more depth of field, which keeps more of the watch in focus. The trade-off is that small apertures let in less light, so you need longer shutter speeds.
    More depth of field can be really helpful for certain shots but, the trade off in apertures smaller than two stops down from full aperture (the sharpness sweet-spot) is that diffraction will result in progressively less sharp image. This generally results in our having to perform careful compositions and camera angles to reach a compromise between smaller apertures . I generally try not to shoot at apertures smaller than f8 for this reason. Obviously, view camera would be the ideal.

With respect to reflections. yes. they are the biggest challenge and much of the advice already posted here is good but i've used some unorthodox methods over the past 5 years that have been very satisfactory, one is to use a combination of directional diffused light as from a tent or softbox coupled with strategically aimed specular lights from LED flashlights. I used to do this with small ellipsoidals but now LOVE my LED lights as i can actually hand hold them for the supplementary exposures.
    Here are some resent, unretouched examples. When i'm finished using photoshop they should jump off the screen.
    Name:  Disco.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  1.97 MB

Nice! Since the op was asking for tips, I felt it best to set up a procedure that would result in some good photos right of the bat. No need to get into circles of confusion Just yet, plenty of time for that as they progress. Nothing wrong with the 'f8 and be there' attitude, there are hundreds of ways to get a nice shot!
    -D
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Once you find sweet spots for lighting, ASA/ISO, etc., a lower f-stop can bring the watch out. Here's an example. The vintage sunglasses and UK coin are right next to the watch, and ordinarily (on AUTO) would be in focus without the short depth of field.

There are several other mistakes here you can probably pick out. Feel free to ask if you don't see them ... the critique is a good learning tool. This was from a series of shots to specifically explore my pro-am camera's manual modes.

If the camera allows setting this and then adjusting shutter speed, exposure, etc. then you can take a number of pics with slight adjustments then examine the results on a computer. (Boy, I never thought I'd say that, playing in a darkroom in 1975!)

One tip is to have those little 1"x3" Post-Its nearby. Put one in each shot with the settings jotted down on it ... so you know what settings "worked." (You get this with Photoshop and a camera that records all settings in the image EXIF data, but not everyone has these tools. Also ... the Post-it reminds you what you're looking for. ;)
    DragonDan likes this.

Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.

No Substitute for practice.

Try things. Experiment. Have fun.

I find I don't even need my DSLR to take great shots anymore. I usually just use my iphone now. Thanks to camera and post processing apps you can do alot with the iphone camera.

99.9% of the shots in my flickr account were taken with my iphone.

Flickr: 00photo's Photostream

Did I mention have fun?
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo
    Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.

No Substitute for practice.

Try things. Experiment. Have fun.

I find I don't even need my DSLR to take great shots anymore. I usually just use my iphone now. Thanks to camera and post processing apps you can do alot with the iphone camera.

99.9% of the shots in my flickr account were taken with my iphone.

Flickr: 00photo's Photostream

Did I mention have fun?
    Amazingly nice iPhone pics. They should give us all hope. How don you adapt dslr techniques to iPhone?

Paul

Paul

- -WUS Chinese Forum Design Project Gone but not forgotten: Anonimo Sailor Diver Tissot T-Touch - - Omega X-33 - - Bathys 100 Fathom
    Science Experiment: Pulsar Quartz Alarm (convinced me I will never have a career as a watchmaker)

Thanks for the tips you are sharing with us and your tips are really useful for me thanks
    if you want to get some gift ideas than try this paintings from photos it will be help you.

I enjoyed this post by ASRSPR, as it also goes into the thought processes and decisions he makes along the way:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f109/gu...ge-488756.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information