Watch Pictures

Thread: Watch Pictures

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watch Pictures

I have a Nikon D40 and would like to know what option people would recommend for watch pictures. I am hoping to find a Macro lense that is not to expensive. I appreciate your assistance. Thank you. Stephen
    https://www.instagram.com/whichwatchsk/

Re: Watch Pictures

I also investigated macro shots using a Nikon D40 and decided against the cost of a macro lense because of the expense. The cheapest alternative (probably not the best, but certainly an easy way to play) I came acros was diopter rings to increas the ability to focus up close. This is less than $US50 so I will probably try them first. If I find I use them a lot I'll sort out an economical macro lense, possibly a Sigma, rather than the pricier Nikon. I'm a beginner at this, would appreciate any pointers.

Stephen, If you have the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens, you could start by using that lens first. Unless you want to print large format photos, you could do some cropping to get full macro effect. Ken Rockwell (see his website) - a guy who provides practical reviews, taking into account the buyer's wallet - loves the D40 combined with the 18-55 kit lens. He uses the crop technique.

When you take photos. buy a cheap light tent or use a plastic box. If you use the box or tent outside (making use of natural light), yet can get great photos. Use black or white paper as background. If you take photos inside, make sure you put some lamps on each side and on top. You will find a lot of info on the web how to do it. It takes some time to find the proper setting (I did not take the time to do that yet).

If you find out that you love macro photography, look for a second hand (or new) Sigma or Tamron. I've heard good comments about the Tamron 90mm macro. The length (60-105 or even 200mm) depends a lot upon your use. 90mm or 105mm are good allround options. 60mm is really good for objects that can be approached real close (e.g. watches) while 200mm are better suited for shy animals and insects.

As I really love macro photography I decided to go directly for the Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR (as I expect to keep the lens longer than the camera) and someone told me to invest in the lens rather than the camera. The 2.8 and VR really helped. And the phrase "the quality will be remembered long after the price has been forgotten" turned out to be true for me. Some test shots I took when I bought the lens:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/peternie...eat=directlink

All in all, I would urge you to do some browsing for reviews of macro lenses (there are good sites for this) to understand length, bouquet, etc., check ebay or similar site.

All the best, Peter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the Nikon 60mm Macro. It is amazing!! I here the 105 is a little better with the VR but if you're tri-poding it, you can save a few bucks.

I did about 6 hours of research on the Nikon 60mm vs. Nikon 105mm vs. Tamron 90mm and they said the Nikon was best for in your face because as you focus the lens length didn't change where as the Tamron lens changes lenght, hence changing focal range as you focus... The price between the Nikon 60mm and 105mm is about $250-$300 if I remember right.

I'm all over the Nikon 60mm though. It has greatly improved my product photography!!

[I am with you when it comes to taking pictures of "dead things" such as watches. If you also want to take photos of butterflies, bees, etc. the 105mm gives extra working space. But it is a trade off.

Here are two examples.

Holy snikies! Good shootin', Tex!

wow those insect pics are great macro examples

wow that are totally amazing.. what camera are you using?

Nikon D200

Great camera. Pixels is not everything. Sensor is more important. I will go for full frame in the future but this one is fine for now.
    - Peter

Re: Nikon D200

please tell us what camera is it? thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information