What brand of lenses do you use?

Thread: What brand of lenses do you use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GJ

What brand of lenses do you use?

I finally made the step and I am going for the Canon 50D.
    But I have no knowledge about lenses...

Canon makes them, Sigma, Tamron and several other brands..

What brand do you use?
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.....

Re: What brand of lenses do you use?

I use primarily Canon glass, but I also own a Tamron. They are all find lenses in the end. Choose based on what you can afford and the specs you want.

My daily walk around is a Tamron, and it hasn't been replaced because it's weight can't be beat (28-75 f2.8). I can step up to the Canon 24-70 f2.8L, but the weight would be too much and I would barely shoot. I learned from first hand experience stepping up from a 70-200 f4 to the 70-200 f2.8 IS. Even though it's a super nice lens, it's weight is the primary reason I don't use it too often.

GJ

Hey, thanks for your input...
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I have a slightly different take - if you're going to buy only a couple lenses, I can't recommend the 70-200 f.2.8 from Canon enough. I'd forego the IS though, the lens is so fast that you can hand hold it anyway in all but the lowest of low light conditions. It is heavy, but it's also not terrible. I've gone on a few day long hikes with the f 2.8 and not felt that it was a bother in the slightest. it's range is perfect, to my mind for nature and wildlife photography, and can be extended to an impressive 140-400 f 5.6 with the 2X converter - which is perfect for subjects like birds.

Couple that with a nice, fast, wideangle zoom 18-75 (or thereabouts), and you'll have a great set of lenses that'll compliment the 50D wondefully. Unless you're planning on becoming a professional, I really can't see what else you'd need (aside from a Macro, and possibly a hyper fast 50 mm for indoor portraits).
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

If i were shooting SLRs I'd get either fast, af compatible Canon glass (L if possible), then the higher end stuff from the aftermarket crowd (I shot a 28-105 2.8LD Tamron which was great optically, though slow to af) and then the run of the mill cannon glass.

Of course, if AF wasn't a huge thing, then I would use Leica R glass and an adaptor, along with Zeiss glass as they are the best lens makers in the world IMHO.
    Chris
    Glashutte Original Panomaticluna XL, Doxa Sharkhunter GMT, Seiko Monster Mod, Dwatch, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Maestro, Vostok Expedition, Volmax Aviator Flying Tank, Vostok Lunokhod, Custom PAM Homage, Nixon Mahogany Rotolog, St Mortiz Storm Chronograph

Get the best for less. Use Sigma.
    Prometheus CR 1
    Jacques Lemans 1353
    Croton CA301154TTBK
    Invicta 9937 OB
    Invicta 8928 OB G3
    Invicta 8927
    Invicta 6015
    Invicta 2299 Ocean Ghost II
    Parnis 50mm
    Getat Scooby
    Goer Two Buck Automatic

Personally I use Canon L glass. If you can afford it I highly recommend it. But Tamron and Sigma both make some very nice lenses. Since you have a Canon camera there is a wealth of information here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/.
    Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

I can't afford L, and I have a crop body anyway, so I'm not using the whole lens (yeah the center sharpness helps, but it's just sooo expensive). I've been using cheap hand-me down Canon kit lenses until recently, when I finally plonked down some real cash for a decent lens (Tamron 17-50 f/2.8) and WOW what a difference

I've got a better Canon lens coming in, too (EF-S 55-250 f/4.5-5.6 IS) so I'll let you know how that goes. (Was using an older EF 55-200 that had crap for contrast and sharpness).

Great Camera

Congratulations

I am SO enjoying my new Nikon D90 - having never owned a camera, the world is opened up to me in a whole new way

enjoy in good health

s
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

I'm in the same pond as Squish - aging 350d body so crop, and not enough cash for top level glass anyway. But both my lenses are Canon at this point - their EF-S 17-85 IS for general use and a nifty fifty for fun. My kitlens is stuck in a closet somewhere, never use that for anything anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information