what do you guys think of the new Canon G10 camera?

Thread: what do you guys think of the new Canon G10 camera?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what do you guys think of the new Canon G10 camera?

Thoughts?

Re: what do you guys think of the new Canon G10 camera?

I have never owned a Canon, but I really wanted this camera. I think for what it is, it's good enough. It handles well and I really like the placement of the controls. But don't expect SLR miracles. It is still a compact.

I think it is a bit on the expensive side considering the market.

Right now I am waiting for a Lumix LX3 to arrive.
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

I handled one last Tuesday and found it to be very comfortable to hold and use. The screen is extremely sharp and even though it doesn't pivot it has remarkable clarity held over away from the eye. The controls that are on top of the camera easily adjusted and this is both a good and bad thing. The way I use a point and shoot style camera, take a shot or group, tuck it away, repeat, would possibly alter some important settings. I currently use a Canon G6, 10D, and 50D. I started with a G3 so I have a decent amount of time with the product line. You will not be dissatisfied with a well exposed and focused shot taken at 800 or below ISO as long as you stay around 11x14 with minimal croping. The processor, Digic IIII is very quick and you can take advantage of the ability of the cameras jpeg/raw capabilities as long as you move up to one of the faster write memory cards. I have entered photo's taken from my older G6 and placed or won a number of club contest but a compact camera will not take the place of my SLR. Just have to have the flexibility of an SLR not to mention the feel.
    Hope this has been helpful, Best health, Frank

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I really like it. I currently use the older G7, which I'm quite satisfied with by the way, but will probably pick up a G10 in the future.

(Ben, didn't you already purchase the G10?)

Panasonic LX3.

I've heard from too many who were eagerly anticipating this camera that it was a major disappointment. One of them went back to his G9.

Just my quick take on it.

I've had a G10 since last November and it's a great camera. It takes incredibly fine photos, particularly when using low ISO. No, it won't replace a DSLR but there are many times my 5D doesn't make it out of the house because the G10 will do the job and is that much easier to pack around.

The LX3 is also a great camera. I considered both and chose the G10 primarily because the controls are more accessible and the LX3 requires a lens cap (just one more thing to misplace in the heat of the moment).

There's tons of discussion on both these cameras in the Canon Talk forum at dpreview.
    Current Watches:
    Speedbird III
    Precista PRS-5
    Precista PRS-10
    Precista PRS-17c
    Precista PRS-18Q
    Christopher Ward C5 Malvern
    Swiss Army Ground Force Titanium
    Swiss Army Maverick II GMT
    Suunto Vector
    Traser P6500
    Seiko SNK809
    '79 Seiko 2620 (my first good watch)
    Alpha "Speedy"

Have been using the G9 for the past year and absolutely love it! Just the solid build compared to many other point and shoots is enough to merit the slightly higher price points.I've gotten some amazing results and it the camera that is with me at all times!

A couple of the guys in my Photography club at UCSD own either a G10 or an LX3 as a carry-around for when lugging around and SLR is just too silly. Lots of manual controls to keep geeks happy. One of my buddies that does professional wedding photography and editorial photography uses it with his Pocket Wizards Kinda funny seeing the little P&S triggering these humongous studio flashes.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda View Post
    One of my buddies that does professional wedding photography and editorial photography uses it with his Pocket Wizards Kinda funny seeing the little P&S triggering these humongous studio flashes.
    Use of the G series with PW's for studio work has really shot off with mr Strobist giving them his glowing recommendation:
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/09...y-g7-feel.html

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidj View Post
    I really like it. I currently use the older G7, which I'm quite satisfied with by the way, but will probably pick up a G10 in the future.

(Ben, didn't you already purchase the G10?)
    Yup, you're right Dave. Just wanted to see what other people here thought of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information