What do you take?

Thread: What do you take?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What do you take?

Wondering what you guys tend to take most pics of?
    Portrait, Macro, Landscape, Candid, Nature etc?

My preference at the moment is candid Street Photography - just bought a Nikkor 24-70 which seems perfect for it and i'm so enjoying my photography - just taking time out to snap the unusual, memorable etc I love Bresson's idea of the "decisive moment" and also of "echos/repeated patterns" - and enjoy looking and waiting for such things - and just occasionally snap a few cool pics.

So, what makes you click?

si
    Last edited by Simon; April 13th, 2010 at 21:29.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Haf

Re: What do you take?

I'm with you on this one, most of the time I'm photographing in the streets because (at least at the moment) it gives me the highest feeling of realness. In the past I have also done some studio photography, I've worked with models and at that time I was more into portraiture.

For what I shoot most of the time I use a full frame camera and a couple of lenses: a Zeiss 50mm macro and a Nikkor 85mm f/1.4. These are the lenses that I carry all the time with me. I only pack the others I own for specific reasons based on what and where I want to shoot (fisheye, wide angle, fast standard, f/2.8 telephoto)

I tend to shoot some landscapes from time to time, but that's about it. I hate nature / macro (insects, flowers etc) photography

I usually take a nice Irish whiskey. Oh, wait- wrong forum...
    I end up taking lots of street shots, because living in Phoenix, that's what there's most of. I do enjoy landscape shots most of all. I've been experimenting with panorama's lately, but that is a field that can start thinning out your wallet in short order.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Critters,...any one of them

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    I usually take a nice Irish whiskey. Oh, wait- wrong forum...
    Jameson's Irish Whisky 12yr Special Reserve is my fave whiskey

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Wondering what you guys tend to take most pics of?
    Portrait, Macro, Landscape, Candid, Nature etc?

My preference at the moment is candid Street Photography - just bought a Nikkor 24-70 which seems perfect for it and i'm so enjoying my photography - just taking time out to snap the unusual, memorable etc I love Bresson's idea of the "decisive moment" and also of "echos/repeated patterns" - and enjoy looking and waiting for such things - and just occasionally snap a few cool pics.

So, what makes you click?

si
    strict limitation to watch only, si.

I really like taking shots of people in interesting environments, which is easy to do in LA. What do they call this, environmental photography? Whatever its called, it's fun to make the focus of the picture the relationship between the subject and their surroundings :D
    Last edited by jrippens; April 16th, 2010 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Jameson's Irish Whiskey 12yr Special Reserve is my fave whiskey

si
    Nice! I was fortunate enough to pick up a bottle of Jameson's 22-year reserve on a recent trip through County Cork.

OK, back to the topic.
    I've got a nice 7-shot panorama I did last year, I just keep forgetting to post it up. Will try to do that later this evening. I'd enjoy one of those Giga-pan heads, but I can make do with some fun techniques on a tripod with a focusing rail.
    Gallet Facebook page:

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    I'd enjoy one of those Giga-pan heads, but I can make do with some fun techniques on a tripod with a focusing rail.
    What is a focusing rail? I'm new to panoramic photography, so I'm not familiar with the tools specific to it - I did this 8 shot panorama a while ago with my 30 dolar tripod and remote shutter release.

@ JRippens: nicely done! That exit sign, you gotta either love it or hate it.

A focusing rail is an adjustable rail that attaches to your tripod. Macro photography needs them because of the ridiculously small increments of adjustment you need to make. Some go just forward & backwards, some add left & right movement.
    In panoramas, we make use of the fore/aft movements so that we can pivot the camera on the lens' pivot point (not the camera's body). The idea being to minimize the 1. fisheye effect and 2. the parallax occurrence of multi-shot panoramas.
    When the camera is attached to the tripod directly, and two shots (or more) are done next to each other, the camera's sensor/ lens is viewing the scene at slightly different angles, meaning that it is not pivoting on a consistent radius. This makes stitching the photos together more problematic.
    Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like a photo geek!
    Gallet Facebook page:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information