What's a good camera to use? - Page 2

Thread: What's a good camera to use?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: What's a good camera to use?

I have a Sony DSC series and i must say, it works fine for me. In fact, Sony has some very good models in your price range, do check it out.

Using old lenses on digital bodys might in some cases not be so good since it can cause much chromatic aberration. On the other hand I shoot my pics with a 60mm Nikkor AF-D f2.8 that was design before the digital era and they turn out fine. Guess what I'm trying to say is that it might or might not work. Personaly I think it will work fine as long as the lens isn't TO old or TO cheap.

By the way here are some tips on how to make a light box: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=71118

Quote Originally Posted by MikalNY View Post
    I have a Sony DSC series and i must say, it works fine for me. In fact, Sony has some very good models in your price range, do check it out.
    Nothing against Sony and besides this I own a Nikon with a Sony CCD inside but I would not recommend a camera with built in lens.
    You may want to use different lenses some day and this will be frustrating.
    The better option is a SRL.
    Renee Descartes walks into a bar, the bartender says 'sir can I get you a Martini ?', Descartes says 'I don't think...' and he disappears

Cheers,
    Fidel
    (DWP #001/100)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think you need a DSLR to get good pictures of watches. I have a Canon 40D and Canon Rebel XT, but I also have an Canon SD1100 IS and I like it a lot.

The SD1100IS is about $200 USD or so. Some places sell it for around $170 as well.

I posted a quick shot I took with it below. That was a quick shot with the watch sitting in the bathroom. If you set up a light box for it I'm sure you'll get much better results, but this should at least show it's potential. That's the full image as well, not cropped in any way. I just reduced it's size. It's 8mp and has multiple custom functions that you can use (macro/regular, image size/quality, white balance, timed shot, etc.).

MP don't really matter much unless you are planning on printing the images out, but if you are just posting them on the internet the extra MP can still come in handy by giving you more options to crop the image since the overal resolution will be higher on the unedited pic vs. that of a 5mp pic.

Last edited by Matt2006; November 1st, 2008 at 23:15.

Another DIY light tent set up http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent
    Lighting set up and macro capable camera is all needed to get started.

Full dslr cameras are great but expensive. There is also a group of super zoom cameras without removable lenses that do pretty well in macro and many other situations except low light. They include Canon PowerShot S5, Fuji FinePix S2000HD, Kodak EasyShare Z1015 IS, Nikon Coolpix P80, Olympus SP-570, and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 for example.

I really wouldn't recomend a Canon SD1100 beacause of the poor ISO performance and the lack of possibility to do everything manually. You would have to work really hard to set everything up exactly the right way to pull of a great shot with a point and shoot camera. I assume that since you bothered to ask about a camera you are looking fore the possibility to take really good photos, not just documentary one? And then you are back to a DSLR. To get closer to the object using a normal lens, not a macro/micro, you could simply buy an extensionring from Kenko or so. One thing that is really usefull is a circular polar filter on the lens. I helps in "turning of" reflections in non metalic surfaces (water, glas, plastic and so on). I don't belive there is filters like that fore "point and shoot" cameras, and if theres is it most likely crap. Without the filter It wouldn't be possible fore me to take the pictures I put in the image gallery forum. Especially not the ones of the Movade since that glas was relly reflective.

Matt2006: Considering the camera and the circumstances that's a really good picture!

My take on it is that he just wants decent shots for the watches he sells on ebay. There's no point shelling out the cash to buy a DSLR + good quality Macro lens if that's about all he's going to use it for.

The SD1100's low light capabilities leave a bit to be desired, but I don't really expect good low light performance at that price point. Plus if he has it set up in a light box or takes the pics outside on an overcast day then it should be fine.

I suppose to give him the best answer we need to find out more about what he'll use it for.

Thing is, a good point & shoot camera that gives you the same flexibility and options as a beginner's dSLR will also cost nearly the same. For that money, why not invest in the dSLR?

A minimum effort product shot (quicky lightbox folded out of printer paper, no macro lens, on-camera flash) with a Canon 350d produced this:

An average consumer point & shoot is going to be hard pressed to do that. A good one can, but will cost you a lot more effort than it did me. I'd just go with the dSLR.

After all, we're into fairly expensive watches on this site. If you're willing to part with a thousand dollars for 1 mechanical watch, why not for a high-grade piece of complicated electronics and optics?
    Last edited by GuySie; November 2nd, 2008 at 19:32.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySie View Post
    After all, we're into fairly expensive watches on this site. If you're willing to part with a thousand dollars for 1 mechanical watch, why not for a high-grade piece of complicated electronics and optics?
    Agreed...

Maybe he's not into gadgets or trying to figure out 2 dozen features on a DSLR. DSLR's aren't for everyone, that's a simple fact. I don't recommend them to just anyone because a persons intended use will help determine what camera they should buy. It's no different then recommending a watch based on what the wearer wants it for. A person seeking a dress watch will get different responses from one seeking a rugged dive watch.

And what one is willing to spend on watch doesn't always correlate to what they'd be willing to spend on anything else. I like some electronics, but not all - so I may be willing to spend $1k+ on a watch but I wouldn't spend $800 on a cell phone. I also wouldn't spend $10k+ on top of the line home theater equipment. The list goes on and on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information