What's a good camera to use? - Page 3

Thread: What's a good camera to use?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: What's a good camera to use?

I agree with everyting you say Matt. In the end it's all about what you are willing to pay and how much you know about photography. If you won't use the manual or semi-manual modes and you are only selling cheap watches on the bay you might just get a P&S. On the other hand, if you are willing to learn a trick or two about taking photos and you are selling more expensive watches it might very well pay of to get a DSLR. It is much more easy to sell something on the net I you got good pictures of it.

Guysie: With on-camera flash, did you mean you used the built in one? Because the I don't know how you pulled that one off? :)

I recently purchased a Canon SX110. It has a great macro range and it has image stabilization (which would be perfect for watch shots).
    I also have a Canon 20D but like to use the little SX110 for quick watch shots.
    It also has a 3 inch LCD on the back.
    Excellent camera for about $279 US
    Regards, Dave

You should never use the IS when taking a shot like this. Instead get a cheap tripod so you can use the lowest seting of the ISO instead. It will make wonders fore the detail in the photo. Especialy when they have cramed 9Mp inte such a litle sensorplate. Another great thing with using a tripod is that you can use a high aperture and by that gain DOF (depth of field) witch tend to be extremly short in macro mode.

Does IS work in macro mode by the way? On some lenses and cameras it doesn't i belive... (I can be wrong about that :)

Good night frome Sweden, it's lights out here now!
    Henrik

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2006 View Post
    Maybe he's not into gadgets or trying to figure out 2 dozen features on a DSLR.
    True, but look at it the other way around: say you want to get a certain quality pictures to properly sell your watches on eBay. I can fold a box, throw in the watch, pop off 5 shots on P-mode and push them through some automatic leveling and balancing in Photoshop in 10 minutes. They won't be mindblowing, but they will sell the watch.

With my point & shoots I had to juggle additional lights (can't use that built in flash), suppress the resulting noise since I have to shoot 400/800, and generally work my ass off in Photoshop - all to get pics similar to what my 350d gets me almost instantly.

Yeah, learning how use a dSLR can be hard work. But trying to get the same pics without one can be hard work too. I'm just saying I'd rather put the time to use learning the dSLR and as such, that is what I advise.

And what one is willing to spend on watch doesn't always correlate to what they'd be willing to spend on anything else. I like some electronics, but not all - so I may be willing to spend $1k+ on a watch but I wouldn't spend $800 on a cell phone. I also wouldn't spend $10k+ on top of the line home theater equipment. The list goes on and on.
    I get that from a rational point of view, but I do find it hard to understand how people who know that high quality objects cost a correlating amount of money and who can appreciate the finely detailed and tuned mechanical works in a watch, then look at a digital camera - a revolutionary combination of electronics and optics that are many times more incomprehensible for me than watches - and be totally uninterested.

Sorry, I'm not ranting about anyone here, this is just something that has been frustrating me for a long time - you see people who buy hideously expensive luxury watches, based on years of careful research and weighing of many possible options... and then go around and buy the cheapest point & shoot at the dutch equivalent of Walmart. I understand they don't care. I just don't get how they can not care.

@Clouseau: With on-camera I meant the flash attached to the camera, as opposed to using radio triggers or other off-camera flash methods. I have a 430EX for my canon. I wouldn't try doing that with the built-in flash, no :) and I prefer my lighting off-camera. Great fan of Strobist.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
    You should never use the IS when taking a shot like this. Instead get a cheap tripod so you can use the lowest seting of the ISO instead. It will make wonders fore the detail in the photo. Especialy when they have cramed 9Mp inte such a litle sensorplate. Another great thing with using a tripod is that you can use a high aperture and by that gain DOF (depth of field) witch tend to be extremly short in macro mode.

Does IS work in macro mode by the way? On some lenses and cameras it doesn't i belive... (I can be wrong about that :)

Good night frome Sweden, it's lights out here now!
    Henrik
    I'll have to check on the IS working in macro mode. "Never" use IS in that situation? Never say never.
    I use a tripod a lot...I'm just sayin....If someone wants to spend around $300US for something to photograph watches with, something like the canon SX110 is nice.
    Have plenty of light to keep the ISO down and the aperture up.
    Regards, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WNUT View Post
    I'll have to check on the IS working in macro mode. "Never" use IS in that situation? Never say never.
    Actually, in this particular case... IS lenses work by moving parts to counteract your movements, which actually introduces shake to your image if it was otherwise perfectly still - like on a tripod. Better to shut it off when you've got it on a 'pod.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySie View Post
    Actually, in this particular case... IS lenses work by moving parts to counteract your movements, which actually introduces shake to your image if it was otherwise perfectly still - like on a tripod. Better to shut it off when you've got it on a 'pod.
    I really don't think that IS will induce shake if the camera doesn't move.
    If I was going to use a tripod for a watch photo I'd probably use my DSLR on a full-size tripod - with 60mm macro. For a quick snapshot, in good light, I'll just grab the point and shoot. Then point and shoot!
    I've been involved in photography for more than 35 years. It seems there's always something to debate about. :thanks
    Regards, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WNUT View Post
    I really don't think that IS will induce shake if the camera doesn't move.
    *shrug* What you do is your choice, ofcourse. But i'm not just making this up for shits & giggles. For example, from Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization
    "Most manufacturers suggest that the IS feature of a lens be turned off when the lens is mounted on a tripod as it can cause erratic results and is generally unnecessary."

Shits and giggles Is that anything like piss and vinegar?
    I had recently read about a canon a 28-300 lens and falsely attributed it's IS performance to most canon lenses. :oops:
    From Canon Press Release:
    Among this lens' most significant enhancements is its highly refined Image Stabilization (IS) system with new shake-detecting gyro sensors. IS is now effective for correction of up to three shutter speed steps for handheld photography, 50% better than the original EF75-300mm IS lens. Additionally, IS remains effective with the new EF28-300mm L lens even when it used on a tripod, improving image quality by helping to eliminate the effects of reflex mirror vibration at slow shutter speeds that are typically required in low light.
    I stand (sit at computer) corrected.
    Regards, Dave

Buy whatever you want but buy it fast, or, after a long debate started from a simple request for advice, you'll end by buying a camera cell phone with high resolution and anti shaking system, very recommended for studio shots. The rest of my post is in my signature.
    Renee Descartes walks into a bar, the bartender says 'sir can I get you a Martini ?', Descartes says 'I don't think...' and he disappears

Cheers,
    Fidel
    (DWP #001/100)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information