What's a good camera to use?

Thread: What's a good camera to use?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What's a good camera to use?

What's a good camera to use for taking nice pictures of watches within the $150-$300 price range if possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Re: What's a good camera to use?

If nice means good, no, it's not possible within this range. $300 is a little bit below a decent SRL, it's rather the price for a lens. But if you are US located and have a some patience and luck you'll may find A Canon 300D (it's an older model), Nikon D40, Pentax K100, Olympus Evolt E-300 for a little bit more than $300. Sigma SD9 is also a good camera though not very popular.
    Don't bother about megapixels. Cheap pocket cameras have 8 or more and the photo's are very poor. 5 megapixels is more than enough and there are older models as Canon D30 which take excellent shots with only 3.
    If lens make is a choice take Sigma or Tamron instead proprietary lenses for the same price. Basic kits are with basic lenses and their quality is considerable lower than of those "made for", if they are of a good brand.
    An alternative is to take a better and used one.
    If you'll find more offers and need an expert advice to help you choose, take a look here:
    http://dpreview.com (not a commercial link)
    The best digital camera data base available across the internet.
    Last edited by workaholic_ro; October 29th, 2008 at 20:56.
    Renee Descartes walks into a bar, the bartender says 'sir can I get you a Martini ?', Descartes says 'I don't think...' and he disappears

Cheers,
    Fidel
    (DWP #001/100)

Thank you very much. I will look into this.

Would this be a decent choice;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-300D-Digit...d=p3286.c0.m14

I sell watches on ebay and my pictures are pretty ugly looking..

Also, should I buy some sort of light box on where to put the watch in to eliminate glares and shadow for a nice clean crisp picture?
    Last edited by SeeMyWatches; October 29th, 2008 at 23:11.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You should refer to DPR for reviews on the 300D. And the light box is a very convenient and effective way to get good watch pics too. You can pick those up fairly cheap too. Good luck!

Can you recommend a good place to buy a light box?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeMyWatches View Post
    Can you recommend a good place to buy a light box?
    They aren't hard to find. Check out your local camera store or possibly even your local DIY/home center. You could even try making one yourself.

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Ine...raphy-Lightbox

Last edited by kiwidj; October 30th, 2008 at 07:15.

I have no experience with a DSLR but the Canon EOS 35mm series were awesome. I still have one and it rocks. You could opt for a Canon Digital Elph but you'll have to really work at it to get decent pics. I like the point and shoot digitals a lot myself and don't see much value in spending more than $200 for an instantly obsolete piece of hardware. This is my own feeling being a film die-hard still even though I don't use film any more. My grail is still a Leica M6.

Wait a sec if my lens from my EOS Elan7 would work on a 300D that would be a reasonable deal..

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPedersen View Post
    Wait a sec if my lens from my EOS Elan7 would work on a 300D that would be a reasonable deal..
    Yes, it should work fine.

I am a photographer and use Canon system. Do get a decent picture of a watch you would need a light box, like it was recommended already, Digital SLR camera, like Canon 300D, or any entry level Canon camera, macro lens like Canon EF 100 2.8 Macro or EF 50 Macro, tripod (must have). Some knowledge about lighting is a big help.
    You can try some point and shoot cameras which have macro mode, but images won't be as sharp as from EF 100 or EF 50 lens. I have EF 100 macro lens for rings shots, very good lens.

I love Canon, I think I may pick up a 300D. I have a 10mp Kodak P&S but its not that great. Decent and easy but I suspect the 300D even though it is 6.3mp would take much better pictures.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information