Would love so tips from the pros on my photo, is it any good? let me have it!

Thread: Would love so tips from the pros on my photo, is it any good? let me have it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would love so tips from the pros on my photo, is it any good? let me have it!

Here is my Panasonic LX3 at work. I applied the black & white in photo shop is that a No No in Photography?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307503449.352098.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  426.2 KB

Re: Would love so tips from the pros on my photo, is it any good? let me have it!

It's always best to take your photos in the best possible quality to begin with, and, you never know if you may want a version with colour at a later date.
    Overall i'd say it's an ok shot, i would have angled myself a tad more, so the camera wasn't visible in the glass, and maybe had a little more light on the face so it really stands out, but then again it depends on what your after, and someone else may have a totally different perspective.

The main thing i can recommend, is doing what i was taught to do when i started out, find a photographer or some photos that really speak to you, and try to replicate the shots, you can get a really good understanding of composition and lighting this way.

i personally love the work of Henri Cartier Bresson, and Yousuf Karsh, Absolutely my two favourite Photographers.

Oh, and, keep it up!
    Rotary Swiss Commando ( Blue dial,1997)
    Tissot Chronograph (Black dial, 1998ish)
    Swatch Deep and Dive (SDK134 mirror dial, fluo orange strap)
    Seiko Military Chronograph (SND099 Green dial now on a solid link bracelet)
    Royal London (4474-3b)
    Royal London Chrono (RL-4441 Silver dial, black gator strap)
    Tauchmeister WorldTime Diver (Black dial/Strap, rose gold case)
    Rotary Chronospeed (Black dial, Brown Strap, Slide rule)
    Swatch Body And Soul (YAS100G Auto Skeleton)
    Swatch Flattention (SFB106G 1999)
    TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 v.2 (Black Face, SS Bracelet)
    Rotary Editions 702C (Rose Gold Case, Brown Leather Strap w.Deployment Clasp)
    Vostok Amphibia (Blue Scuba Dude)
    Eyki Chinese "ventura" Homage (surprisingly nice for £25)
    H. Samuel Everite Pocket Watch (1936)
    Parnis "milgauss", Sterile Big pilot, Sterlie MM
    Omega WWW
    Zenith Pocket watch 1910's
    Hamilton US Navy Comparing Watch 1940's
    Revue Thommen Diver (sea dweller style)
    Seiko UFO Chronograph
    Royal London T31

Re: Would love so tips from the pros on my photo, is it any good? let me have it!

This is the best advise i have gotten since starting with Photography... Thanks So Much My Friend For Your Time... Very Instructional

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

While I agree with the above post, bear in mind that the following is of course subjective. This is as stated before an "ok" shot as is. The first thing that strikes me on this shot is the blownout spot on the upperleft. Second thing I see is the dial and strap isn't really black, a little contrast tweek can take care of that. You might also try a refector to put a little light back on the area between 12 and 3 IMHO, something as simple as holding a piece of white paper or a backing board just out of the frame will bounce some light back into that area. Lastly, pay attention to the details in the frame, 11PM durring the date change might not be the best time to shoot a watch, and dust is always a problem.
    Keep at it, the best way to learn is to practice practice practice.

Cheers,
    NB
    W3
    My Collection:
    Seiko 6309 7049, Seiko 6309 7040, Seiko SKX007, Seiko SKX009,
    Seiko 5 6119C-8083, Seiko 6309-8239
    W3 Vintage Diver, Citizen AP2161-68M, Bulovia 1965 30 Jewel, vintage Tissot

Good words and a little more technical than i went, and subjective is the word i was looking for when i was writing my post, thanks for that, it was annoying me not being able to think of it.
    and practice practice practice is a definite must!

Also the 35MM Photographers handbook is great whether you shoot digital or film. it's also worth checking out this guy, he does some great how to's... KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures
    Rotary Swiss Commando ( Blue dial,1997)
    Tissot Chronograph (Black dial, 1998ish)
    Swatch Deep and Dive (SDK134 mirror dial, fluo orange strap)
    Seiko Military Chronograph (SND099 Green dial now on a solid link bracelet)
    Royal London (4474-3b)
    Royal London Chrono (RL-4441 Silver dial, black gator strap)
    Tauchmeister WorldTime Diver (Black dial/Strap, rose gold case)
    Rotary Chronospeed (Black dial, Brown Strap, Slide rule)
    Swatch Body And Soul (YAS100G Auto Skeleton)
    Swatch Flattention (SFB106G 1999)
    TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 v.2 (Black Face, SS Bracelet)
    Rotary Editions 702C (Rose Gold Case, Brown Leather Strap w.Deployment Clasp)
    Vostok Amphibia (Blue Scuba Dude)
    Eyki Chinese "ventura" Homage (surprisingly nice for £25)
    H. Samuel Everite Pocket Watch (1936)
    Parnis "milgauss", Sterile Big pilot, Sterlie MM
    Omega WWW
    Zenith Pocket watch 1910's
    Hamilton US Navy Comparing Watch 1940's
    Revue Thommen Diver (sea dweller style)
    Seiko UFO Chronograph
    Royal London T31

Didn't mean to go overboard on ya Meniven. The book is a super idea, read all you can if you are seriously interested and shoot shoot shoot. They used to say film is cheap, but flashcards are reuseable! The only thing you can loose by practicing is a little time.
    Last edited by NABodie; June 9th, 2011 at 00:30.
    W3
    My Collection:
    Seiko 6309 7049, Seiko 6309 7040, Seiko SKX007, Seiko SKX009,
    Seiko 5 6119C-8083, Seiko 6309-8239
    W3 Vintage Diver, Citizen AP2161-68M, Bulovia 1965 30 Jewel, vintage Tissot

Quote Originally Posted by NABodie View Post
    While I agree with the above post, bear in mind that the following is of course subjective. This is as stated before an "ok" shot as is. The first thing that strikes me on this shot is the blownout spot on the upperleft. Second thing I see is the dial and strap isn't really black, a little contrast tweek can take care of that. You might also try a refector to put a little light back on the area between 12 and 3 IMHO, something as simple as holding a piece of white paper or a backing board just out of the frame will bounce some light back into that area. Lastly, pay attention to the details in the frame, 11PM durring the date change might not be the best time to shoot a watch, and dust is always a problem.
    Keep at it, the best way to learn is to practice practice practice.

Cheers,
    NB
    thank you so much appreciate your valuable time.

I'd consider cropping closer to the watch, so you don't have that big white blob at the bottom of the frame. Keep in mind that the eye ususally is drawn to the lightest part of a photo. I agree with the contrast, and easy (control+M) fix in Photoshop. I'd apply a bit of an "S" curve, which is an oft-used tool in our camera bag.
    Lastly, I don't know how deep you want to get into it here, although you can see your camera reflected in the crystal. A black sheet (I use that 1/8" craft foam stuff) with a cutout for your lens will kill that reflection.
    You got the basics down well, let's see how you progress!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    I'd consider cropping closer to the watch, so you don't have that big white blob at the bottom of the frame. Keep in mind that the eye ususally is drawn to the lightest part of a photo. I agree with the contrast, and easy (control+M) fix in Photoshop. I'd apply a bit of an "S" curve, which is an oft-used tool in our camera bag.
    Lastly, I don't know how deep you want to get into it here, although you can see your camera reflected in the crystal. A black sheet (I use that 1/8" craft foam stuff) with a cutout for your lens will kill that reflection.
    You got the basics down well, let's see how you progress!
    Dragon! thanks for the cutout tip for reducing reflection of camera.. I will try it out and post a new photo... Thanks again.

Banned

Just want to add my appreciation to those that have replied, and a special thanks to the OP for a very courageous post. (The OP is not the only one gaining some great tips and knowledge here.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information