Is $183 for this 14K Waltham Pocket Watch a Good Deal?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben_hutcherson

Thread: Is $183 for this 14K Waltham Pocket Watch a Good Deal?

Is $183 for this 14K Waltham Pocket Watch a Good Deal?

I bought this watch on eBay mainly because it was going off auction and was only $93 at the time. The seller didn't mention gold filled and I don't see anything like 10, 15 or 20 year quarantee. Did I do well?

Thanks in advance!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    Last edited by rh287; April 2nd, 2012 at 03:17.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Is $183 for this 14K Waltham Pocket Watch a Good Deal?

The title is misleading as the case is actually gold filled and not solid gold(this is stated on down into the description).

We can't comment on values directly, but I'll just say that this is a relatively low grade movement, although the case looks to be in decent(not great) condition.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

This watch is in excellent condition. It has been cleaned and oiled. It has been running and keeping time. The case is 14k gold-filled. It features a vibrant engine turned motif. The dial is enameled. It is in excellent condition. It is free of chips and cracks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rh287 View Post
    I bought this watch on eBay mainly because it was going off auction and was only $93 at the time. The seller didn't mention gold filled and I don't see anything like 10, 15 or 20 year quarantee. Did I do well?
    Its a good watch, and if you can trust that it's been serviced properly, then yes you did well (although that depends on what servicing costs in your area). He lied about it being "railway grade" though; 15j was never railway grade (except maybe back in the 1870's, don't remember). It's just a good (not great) example of the watch that really epitomizes everything that made Waltham the biggest watchmaker in the world.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    15j was never railway grade (except maybe back in the 1870's, don't remember).
    Sorry, but this is completely incorrect.

15 jewel watches were perfectly acceptable for railroad time service up through the 1890s, and in many cases continued in service for a number of years after regulations stopped allowing them for new watches entering service. The same was true for hunting case watches and pendant setting.

Casey Jones was carrying a 15 jewel, pendant set Waltham gr. 35 in his pocket the night he died in 1900.

The key is the quality of finish, and more importantly the number of adjustments.

The three railroad grade 1883 models, the Appleton, Tracy & Co, gr. 35, and Crescent St., were made in both 15 and 17 jewels, but for all examples, the 15 jewel is at least as common and in most cases a better watch than the 17 jewel equivalent.

With that said, the watch in question for this listing is definitely NOT railroad grade, although it has nothing to do with the jewel count. The key is that it's unadjusted.
    eldarinn likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Huh. Guess I'll add that to the list of things learned. Regardless though, this particular watch was built in 1906, by which point I believe most railroads required at least 17 (and in some cases 21) jewels on new watches entering service.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    Casey Jones was carrying a 15 jewel, pendant set Waltham gr. 35 in his pocket the night he died in 1900.
    Gosh, that's not much of a recommendation, is it?

Thread Information