WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

******* WRUW February 2020 *******

12K views 192 replies 61 participants last post by  bubba48 
#1 ·
Some welcome rain after the heat of the last few days.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Green

Citizen 52 0110.

Regards,

See less See more
#3 ·
Some welcome rain after the heat of the last few days.

View attachment 14830757

Citizen 52 0110.

Regards,
Raindrops on your watch (if I am not mistaken) - one of the nicest things in Australia these days, but then again, occasionally too much of the badly needed water. My relatives there have been far away from the fires, but still scared.

#8 ·
Most Australians live in the cities and are far away from any danger. Sydney and Melbourne have both been blanketed in smoke from the bush fires. Staining the sky to an all day sunset and leaving those with lung conditions in peril. Below you can see the ferocity and speed in 3 minutes. The Dunmore Rural Fire Service is called to secure a property - the wind changes and at 1.40 they come under severe ember attack. The truck that houses the dashcam and crew protects itself with via a sprinkler system. Everyone survived.

Regards,

#5 · (Edited)
A bit of early `70`s funky chunkiness today.
Roamer Electronic 606 (606 being the case style).
i love the little whizzing electrons around the logo on these.
Movement is the futuristic (at the time ) ESA 9154 battery /transistor powered balance wheel combo.
The movement was an upgrade of the first transistor/balance wheel movement -the ESA 9150 .
Roamer used both versions- but most examples I`ve seen on the web are the later 9154`s (28,800 BPH ) with the 606 dial marking.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Hand
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

when the far cheaper to produce mass quartz moments began to come to market the interesting electronic balance models (made by many different companies) days were numbered.

#7 ·
1973 Caravelle auto today, with a 1972 17j 11OTAC, aka the Citizen 5620, and not shown in any of the usual archives.

34mm, reliably accurate and cheap enough for GIs to have bought them at their PX store, where I understand this one first saw the light of day.

Regards.

Attachments

#10 ·
Timestar, Franco/Indian collaboration. Movement is either a Lorsa or a Fontemelion /Cant remember. But a sturdy decent movement. The rest of the watch is indian made. i bought it a few years ago as an NOS.Pretty decent timekeeper but not super. I like the dial design, probably most of the reason I bought it.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Another Sunday with extremely dreadful weather today. Except for feeding the birds and squirrels, I will stay inside the house, carrying around one of my verge fusee watches. This one, fire gilded, is from around 1785, signed Carré a Geneve (Geneva). There have been several watchmakers by that name in France as well as in Switzerland and it could have been made in cooperation within the family on both sides of the border. At least the movement should come from France, marked 'a Vienne', a city in France close to the border and Geneva. It's running very well and steady within the limits of such a type of watch. Not bad indeed for its age of 235 years.

Attachments

#13 ·
33mm Eska, the name derived phonetically from the initials of the maker, Sylvan Kocher. With its steel case it wouldn't have been the richest kid on the block, but probably not the poorest either.

Dating from the 1940s and driven by a 17j AS 1172/1173 bumper.

Regards.

Attachments

#20 ·
Late 1980s TIMEX Diver Quartz today. 100 meters water tight, screw down crown, rotatable bezel (bi-directional, but that 'mistake' can also be seen on higher priced watches of that type).

But that's not all: The seller claimed that it has a helium valve! You need that in saturation diving where the air is enriched with helium and when coming up again, the diver spends some time in a decompression chamber where the helium, which has penetrated into the watch, cannot get out quickly enough again and the crystal would otherwise be blown off. This nonsense, holding a prominent place in the 'derailments' in watchmaking, can also be seen on very expensive watches. In reality, this will never be used simply because such a watch will never be used by 'real' divers who are equipped with professional instruments and would get fired otherwise.

So (fortunately I got this watch in NOS condition and very cheap) I tried that at home, not expecting any helium to come out, but just out of curiosity, and you know what? The date advanced by one day every time I pressed that button.

Well done Timex!

Attachments

#22 ·
Today, another of my watchmaker’s periodic giveaways.

Of course, there is nothing remotely “De Luxe” about this effort or its Baumgartner 34, but with its unusual alternate batons and waffle-effect dial I wasn’t going to hurt his feelings by declining his largesse.

Regards.

Attachments

#26 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.