* HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7

    * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    So I this is another watch I found in my grandfathers watch collection, and I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me about the watch. It appears to be a Bulova Accutron, and maybe the Toyota Sales Society marking makes it special?
    Words on the back: Bulova, N6, Gold Electroplate Bezel, Water Resistant, J318294, 10 KT. Rolled Gold Plate Back
    Words inside back plate: 6-6, G3076, Use only genuine accutron cell marked 218, install with engraved side down in well
    Name:  Photo Nov 27, 2 45 40 PM.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  91.2 KBName:  Photo Nov 27, 2 46 42 PM.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  102.7 KBName:  Photo Nov 27, 2 47 15 PM.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  133.6 KBName:  Photo Nov 27, 2 47 17 PM.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  134.1 KBName:  Photo Nov 27, 2 48 33 PM.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  125.3 KBName:  Photo Nov 27, 2 48 28 PM.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  123.4 KBName:  Photo Nov 27, 3 05 06 PM.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  122.3 KBName:  Photo Nov 27, 3 05 45 PM.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  132.6 KB

  2. #2
    Member AbslomRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Canada
    Posts
    5,315

    Re: * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    Well, it's an Accutron 219, which came out in the mid 70's to replace the 218. Note how they did away with one of the fork assemblies. They also implemented a true circuit cut off, so when you pull out the crown, it actually turns the watch off (unlike the 218's which simply disengaged the pawl). This allows them to be "stored" without draining the battery. By this point, the quartz revolution was in full swing, and the Accutron was a dated beast, so their main goal was the ability to produce the watch more "cheaply" in an attempt to stay competitive. The biggest problem you'll have with this is finding replacement parts, since these aren't nearly as common as the 218's. If it works, you're golden.

    As for it being "special" because of the "Toyota" markings, I'd have to say no. If anything, it lowers the value, unless you happen to find a particularly avid collector of Toyota marked presentation watches. Not sure how plentiful they'll be though. Oddly enough, I have a 219 myself, and it was also a presentation watch (to my uncle for 20 years of service).

    The thread I started about my uncle's watch is here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/its...ns-546269.html
    Last edited by AbslomRob; November 28th, 2013 at 00:57.
    JP71624 likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43

    Re: * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    Well, Accutrons are nice but this kind is a bit tragic. The movement represents a cheapening of the brand and it isn't very desirable, and the dial makes it worse. It isn't very desirable to collectors.

    But no matter, this is your grandfather's watch and that's always worth something no matter the watch. I recommend removing the battery until you can have it serviced, do not let it run without servicing or the movement could be ruined.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member john*thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    153

    Re: * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    This watch will be worth more to you than a collector. It is going to be pretty rare and one would think rarity would lead to a higher price but in general collectors as already has been noted aren't interested in watches marked like this. Engravings on the back of a watch lowers it's value also.

  6. #5
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,156

    Re: * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    These 219s are not common and I like them as collectibles. I'd like to eventually get most of the various flavors of Accutrons. It is surprising how many there were. I do have enough that some that used to work are now breaking (I give them to friends or family to wear so some actually get used).

    We have discussed caseback engravings a good deal over the years and some don't like them and some, like me, find them intriguing. A prominently marked dial like this does decrease collectibility however unless you are a Toyota salesperson!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, California
    Posts
    625

    * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    Beware: the battery in that one appears to be installed upside down. Accutron movements (unlike virtually every other electric movement including the ESA tuning fork watches) need the + side installed facing down. Installing it the wrong way can damage the movement, especially the very difficult to replace coil assembly.

    FYI: the N6 indicates a 1976 model.
    Last edited by gordon9999; November 28th, 2013 at 18:45.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    43

    Re: * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    Quote Originally Posted by gordon9999 View Post
    Beware: the battery in that one appears to be installed upside down.
    Yikes good catch. Also it looks like the retaining screw for the battery contact is missing, it's sitting there loose. That could be a good thing, maybe the battery hasn't made good contact and the coil is still OK. In any case that battery needs to be removed.

    Edit: I also notice that the crown is pulled out. As AbslomRob pointed out, that disengages the power circuit. More good news, the movement might be OK. However the crown only looks out in that one photo of the movement, I hope it was out before the battery was put in.
    Last edited by StoppedClock; November 28th, 2013 at 19:29.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7

    Re: * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    The battery was in for years with the movement in, I took the battery out and ordered a new one so I can see if it's still working or not. Thanks for pointing it out guys but it might be too late, hopefully not though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, California
    Posts
    625

    Re: * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjaf View Post
    The battery was in for years with the movement in, I took the battery out and ordered a new one so I can see if it's still working or not. Thanks for pointing it out guys but it might be too late, hopefully not though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't drop a new battery in an Accutron that hasn't been running for a long time and almost certainly hasn't been serviced recently. If it's not already damaged, you have a good chance of damaging it as soon as you pop the battery in. The momentary voltage spike from the new battery may sever the extremely thin coil wires in a poorly maintained movement (actually, this can happen even in a good movement, but far less likely.) In addition, the index wheel has virtually microscopic teeth on it. In a properly serviced movement, the index wheel is under very little stress, but a poorly maintained movement may exert too much force, damaging the teeth.

    These two parts are the most fragile, failure-prone parts of a tuning fork movement, and are becoming increasingly hard to replace (no new ones have been made in around 40 years.)

    To top it off, these movements were designed for 1.35v mercury cells, not 1.5v silver oxide cells. They can be adjusted to run properly (usually) on 1.5v by an experienced Accutron tech, but the fact that the battery was in upside down doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this movement was ever phased properly for that kind of battery. Using the wrong voltage on a watch that hasn't been phased to deal with it can (drumroll) damage the movement.

    If the watch is important to you, find a place that repairs Accutrons and send it in. They'll almost certainly be able to get it running nicely, even if they have to replace parts. Whether it runs right now isn't that relevant - it needs servicing either way. If you don't want it, I'd just sell it on eBay "as is" - you might get like $80 for it…

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7

    Re: * HELP* Bulova Accutron Toyota Sales Society 10k gold watch

    Quote Originally Posted by gordon9999 View Post
    I wouldn't drop a new battery in an Accutron that hasn't been running for a long time and almost certainly hasn't been serviced recently. If it's not already damaged, you have a good chance of damaging it as soon as you pop the battery in. The momentary voltage spike from the new battery may sever the extremely thin coil wires in a poorly maintained movement (actually, this can happen even in a good movement, but far less likely.) In addition, the index wheel has virtually microscopic teeth on it. In a properly serviced movement, the index wheel is under very little stress, but a poorly maintained movement may exert too much force, damaging the teeth.

    These two parts are the most fragile, failure-prone parts of a tuning fork movement, and are becoming increasingly hard to replace (no new ones have been made in around 40 years.)

    To top it off, these movements were designed for 1.35v mercury cells, not 1.5v silver oxide cells. They can be adjusted to run properly (usually) on 1.5v by an experienced Accutron tech, but the fact that the battery was in upside down doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this movement was ever phased properly for that kind of battery. Using the wrong voltage on a watch that hasn't been phased to deal with it can (drumroll) damage the movement.

    If the watch is important to you, find a place that repairs Accutrons and send it in. They'll almost certainly be able to get it running nicely, even if they have to replace parts. Whether it runs right now isn't that relevant - it needs servicing either way. If you don't want it, I'd just sell it on eBay "as is" - you might get like $80 for it…
    So, in your professional opinion, what do you think a service should cost me? I don't know anything about watches and want to make sure I pay a fair price. And what could that potentially raise the value to? Although it does have a strong sentimental value, I have other watches of his with a greater dollar value as well as sentimental value that I'd probably restore first depending on the cost and after service value. Thanks so much for your help everyone!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •