*Must See!* Help Identifying a Dug Up Pocket Watch

Thread: *Must See!* Help Identifying a Dug Up Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

*Must See!* Help Identifying a Dug Up Pocket Watch

Hello all,

First post here. The pocket watch I've been trying to identify for a number of years now was dug up at a construction site in Arizona during the late 60's. It was passed down to me as something rather interesting without a name. Pictures are attached.

Watch is Open face, 16S, standard movement with mainspring. Ruby endstone, balance wheel staff broken, spring missing. Push-button time set, proper spring tension when pendant is wound.

The Roman numerals on the dial are outlined, but the original lettering is long gone. There is no outline of a model name or company name under the 12 O'clock mark. No identification marks are visible on the movement, but the inner case is marked with the logo of a crown and "FINE SILVER" inscribed under it. The case serial number is 217085.

The movement itself is also quite interesting. Instead of a single plate movement, there is a secondary plate above the main plate. The second and hour gears also have a mysterious extension (as you will see in the photos) which extend to form "gears" with no teeth.

7 Photos below. Please help me identify the origin of this watch! Thanks.

Last edited by Pocket Watch; November 7th, 2009 at 02:34.
    ~ Cheers, Steve.

Re: *Must See!* Help Identifying a Dug Up Pocket Watch

What you have is a very early chronograph, probably a very early split second chronograph, perhaps. There are illustrations of a similar second stopping and secondly splitting arrangement in some books I have from the late 19th Century.

The gear does not have "no teeth". It has extremely fine teeth, probably around 300 teeth or more on the wheel that can be seen through a loupe. This is the chronograph gear. It's made with that many teeth to assure a non jerky start and stop of the elapsed seconds hand of the chrono.

If it was mine, I'd restore it.

The second plate carrying the chrono mechanism indicates that the chrono mechanism was added on to a pre existing watch. You saw a lot of this in early chronos and chrono functions were still being added to pre existing movements into the 1930s.

Chronograph modules are still added to standard modern movements, compared to movements designed as a chronograph from the start such as the Valjoux 7750.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere else View Post
    What you have is a very early chronograph, probably a very early split second chronograph, perhaps. There are illustrations of a similar second stopping and secondly splitting arrangement in some books I have from the late 19th Century.

The gear does not have "no teeth". It has extremely fine teeth, probably around 300 teeth or more on the wheel that can be seen through a loupe. This is the chronograph gear. It's made with that many teeth to assure a non jerky start and stop of the elapsed seconds hand of the chrono.

If it was mine, I'd restore it.

The second plate carrying the chrono mechanism indicates that the chrono mechanism was added on to a pre existing watch. You saw a lot of this in early chronos and chrono functions were still being added to pre existing movements into the 1930s.
    Somewhere else, thanks a lot for your reply and information. I have always wondered what the outlines of all these small numbers in the outer dial were, and now I understand that it was once a working chronometer.

But interestingly enough, there is no model name, nor any engraving on the dial or movement at all. Judging by the logotype on the inner case, where can we conclude the watch was manufactured, and perhaps by what company?

Also, would the function of what looks to be the push button time-set actually function as the start/stop of the chronometer?

Sadly though, the rust is the only thing holding much of this watch together. There's no real hope in restoring this watch to a working condition again.

This is all too interesting. I'm curious to dig deeper here.
    ~ Cheers, Steve.

The base movement seems to be a Longines 20.52.

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    The base movement seems to be a Longines 20.52.
    I'm not entirely sure that I can say it's a Longines 20.52. There are minor differences with the shape of the mainspring housing, as well as the fact that the minute gear on my watch is located above the hour gear. But these two are rather similar. Can we conclude that this is perhaps a European watch?

Why the lack of model/manufacturer markings as well as the lack of a serial number on the movement?

*Edit. I think I've found an exact match of the case design on another Longines watch. Please confirm.

Longines 20.52 movement:

Last edited by Pocket Watch; November 7th, 2009 at 19:51.
    ~ Cheers, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Watch View Post
    Somewhere else, thanks a lot for your reply and information. I have always wondered what the outlines of all these small numbers in the outer dial were, and now I understand that it was once a working chronometer.

But interestingly enough, there is no model name, nor any engraving on the dial or movement at all. Judging by the logotype on the inner case, where can we conclude the watch was manufactured, and perhaps by what company?
    It's not surprising that there is no maker's name or engraving on the dail. Your chrono dates from the infancy of the chronograph, when there were very few made, and those that were made we made by hand in several specialized workshops, such as that of Nicolet. The fact that it is fit on a Longines (thank you Dr. Ramfft) and is a Swiss pin set (not an English type) reinforces my opinion. The chronograph work is distinctive and I have a picture of it somewhere. If I remember tonight, I'll look it up when I go home. It's not Nicolet.

Also, would the function of what looks to be the push button time-set actually function as the start/stop of the chronometer?
    No, I believe that it may have functioned through the crown. Actually, I'm not sure and will have to look at my books.

Sadly though, the rust is the only thing holding much of this watch together. There's no real hope in restoring this watch to a working condition again.
    You'll shudder when I say this, but the rust isn't that bad. It needs a new hairspring, and some real loving care with a bead blaster, but I think it's within the realm of possibility. Of course, masochist and horologist are very close in spelling.

This is all too interesting. I'm curious to dig deeper here.
    It's really interesting. Do try to dig deeper. What surprises me is that someone would lose an expensive watch like that presumably in a excavaction and not look for it. Maybe you should get one of those Viking horde fellow to run a metal detector check near where it was found.

The fact that it is fit on a Longines (thank you Dr. Ramfft) and is a Swiss pin set (not an English type) reinforces my opinion.
    As I mentioned in a couple of posts ago, I am not entirely sure that the movement is made by Longines. There are minor differences in the design of the movement, but it is strikingly similar. What do you mean by a "Swiss pin set"? The case?

The chronograph work is distinctive and I have a picture of it somewhere. If I remember tonight, I'll look it up when I go home. It's not Nicolet.
    Excellent, please share.

You'll shudder when I say this, but the rust isn't that bad. It needs a new hairspring, and some real loving care with a bead blaster, but I think it's within the realm of possibility. Of course, masochist and horologist are very close in spelling.
    I can tell that the original movement itself is in rather good condition considering where it was found. The only thing I'd have to replace is the balance wheel, hairspring, and the mainspring as far as the movement goes, but I'd still have to find a way to get the original axle that had the hour and minute hands off, and find a replacement, plus a new dial. As far as restoring the 2nd plate chrono, all that's keeping that together is the rust on the surface. No real hope for that.

What surprises me is that someone would lose an expensive watch like that presumably in a excavation and not look for it. Maybe you should get one of those Viking horde fellow to run a metal detector check near where it was found.
    Being found over 40 years ago now, I think it would have been a good idea to run a metal detector in the vicinity of where it was dug up. It might have led to the remains of the man who wore the watch! Ah, the possibilities are endless of how the watch ended up becoming part of the soil...
    ~ Cheers, Steve.

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

I think I would place the watch in a tin of Diesel fuel for six months which will unsieze the various bits enough to strip the watch down while I was hunting for pieces. If it is a Longines (or close relative,) then parts are not impossible to find or adapt. This is a rare thing, and if it takes some years to restore, it will have been worth it. I would start with a crisp photo of the dial and photoshop to get the face detail ready for making a new dial. Much of the rest of it will be a re-creation but that is no bad thing if you have saved it from oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
    I think I would place the watch in a tin of Diesel fuel for six months which will unsieze the various bits enough to strip the watch down while I was hunting for pieces. If it is a Longines (or close relative,) then parts are not impossible to find or adapt. This is a rare thing, and if it takes some years to restore, it will have been worth it. I would start with a crisp photo of the dial and photoshop to get the face detail ready for making a new dial. Much of the rest of it will be a re-creation but that is no bad thing if you have saved it from oblivion.
    Putting this watch back to working condition is of the least priority at this moment in time. As far as loosening the rust on the screws and what not, it would be a lot more practical to shoot the components with an appropriate WD-40 type solution, and let them sit in a can of avgas for a few days rather than let it sit in Diesel fuel for a lengthy period of 6 months, as you mentioned.

Identification of this watch, and proof of identification is what I humbly ask for, for now. Which leaves me now waiting for "Somewhere else"'s reply.
    ~ Cheers, Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information