[Help] Searching for Details about Vintage Girard Perregeaux "Seahawks"
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [Help] Searching for Details about Vintage Girard Perregeaux "Seahawks"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

[Help] Searching for Details about Vintage Girard Perregeaux "Seahawks"

Greetings!

This is my first post on here, so don't be too harsh on me. I've recently become interested in watches, and purchased my first one, a Girard Perregeaux Seahawk. I'm trying to determine it's authenticy, and would love to learn more about the brand. I've found many mentions of "Girard Perregaux seahawk an Incomplete History," but the links appear to be dead, does anyone have a working link to that? Is there a reference guide available for purchase?

Now to the details of this particular item. I've been looking at the watch very closely and have a few observations and questions, I'd like to float out for commentary:

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 83
Size:  96.2 KBName:  Unknown-2.jpeg
Views: 75
Size:  84.4 KBName:  Unknown-3.jpeg
Views: 74
Size:  53.6 KBName:  Unknown-4.jpeg
Views: 76
Size:  72.5 KB

First, any guess on date? I get the sense its late 50's early 60's but thats pure speculation.

I noticed that the "r" in "Girard-Perregaux" are slightly irregular, as they don't turn down at the end as many do. However, the other details, most notably the "Sea Hawk," look correct. Though it is hard to tell, because it seems like their lettering made lots of subtle changes over the years. The bottom is marked "Swiss T" (rather than "Swiss" "T Swiss T", or Swiss T 25): I've found other examples of that marking, but not during the same time period. Is this a dead giveaway of a fake, or is that semi normal? The minute hand seems abnormally long to me, but maybe that's my paranoia kicking in.

Does anyone know if the back looks correct? Can anything be gleamed from it, other than that it's made of stainless steel?

I'm aware and unconcerned that the strap is clearly not original.

Unfortunately, I don't have photos of the movement yet. The seller said he didn't have the correct tools to remove it, which feels like a red flag to me. However, the seller has a sterling Ebay reputation, and said he would accept a return, should I discover it isn't original. Is this a watch, where you must access the movement through the face? if so, that is reasonable; if not, less so. Does the timegrapher tell me anything useful, side the watch is working. Any ideas which movement I should expect to find in a piece like this.

I'm planning on taking it in to be taken apart and inspected when it arrives in New York. Does anyone have an recommendations for reputable and reasonably priced people in the city?

Thanks for your help!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: [Help] Searching for Details about Vintage Girard Perregeaux "Seahawks"

Welcome to Watchuseek! Well, the pictures aren't all that clear and close up but to me, it looks like a redial from here. It does look a little too squeaky clean and, more importantly, it looks like there's white paint creeping up the sides of the applied markers. These should have been applied after the dial was painted, so that they should be entirely free of paint.

Hartmut Richter

I wish the photos were more detailed, but I agree with you that the font doesn't look right, the r's in particular. As you have noticed, they are usually very distinctive. I'm not so concerned about the "Swiss T", since that seems to vary quite a bit. Although the hands don't look bad, I can't find another example with the same hands. I'm also guessing that the crown is a replacement.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Hartmut and Dan for your comments.

I will examine the watch with those things in mind, when it arrives on Friday and post better photos if it feels justified.

Others, I'd love more comments and tips if you have any.

Aaron

So those are the sellers' photos? I'm not familiar with that particular model, but doesn't it look like a "front-stuffer"? Meaning that the case is integral, the movement/ dial are introduced through the crystal side.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

I think – not sure – that it's a redial. I believe that the fancy script "Seahawk" was later than this watch was made. But I'm not sure. All the signs of a redial are there. Anyway, I have the GP article in pdf, too big to put up here I think. If you PM me with your email I will send it on to you.

Quote Originally Posted by popeaaronthe1 View Post
    Thanks Hartmut and Dan for your comments.

I will examine the watch with those things in mind, when it arrives on Friday and post better photos if it feels justified.

Others, I'd love more comments and tips if you have any.

Aaron
    DragonDan likes this.

Yes, they are the seller's photos. I only ask, because I know that some of the "Sea Hawk" series were "front-stuffers" to help wit waterproofing. If it's not, that should make it easier to see the movement. However, it also makes me nervous that under the hood there are more surprises...

Well, I applaud you for doing some serious due diligence before your purchase. You seem to have done everything short of flying to La Chaux-de-Fonds to inspect the Girard-Perregaux archives! Too often a poster will ask for opinions only after the purchase and will be greatly disappointed with the responses.

While I am not expert enough as many of the others here on the topic vintage G-Ps, I can offer you some photos of my Seahawk that you might be able to use as a reference. I am certain it is not a redial as it has been in my family since new.

Name:  GP-SeaHawk.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  110.7 KB

Also, here is a shot of the movement that may help. It's an AS base, forget the exact caliber at the moment.

Name:  GP-Movt.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  96.6 KB
    busmatt likes this.
    Check out my "Watch of the Week" on Instagram.

Crown looks a bit big to me, but I'm no expert, just doesn't look right
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
    Crown looks a bit big to me, but I'm no expert, just doesn't look right
    It's about 3x original crown size. But hey, it gives the watch a diver feel. I guess it played a big part in selling this dubious watch!
    tinknocker likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information