ďRAREĒ 1940ís Breitling 765 identification
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By arcadelt
  • 4 Post By WatchFred
  • 1 Post By arcadelt

Thread: ďRAREĒ 1940ís Breitling 765 identification

ďRAREĒ 1940ís Breitling 765 identification

Hello! Iíve put this Vintage Breitling 765 on hold while I research it and I was curious if anyone here could give me any information on it? I have spent the last few weeks finding what I could - but 99% of the information online and in forums is on the AVI and navametre and co-pilot.

The movement is a venus 178 (sorry, no photos yet!) but the dial is AMAZING! There is a clear orange scale around the outside and I just Love this watch, but canít find anything on it outside of itís relation to the models mentioned above.

It keeps great time, and everything runs perfectly.

I know the hands appear to be re-lumed , which Iím okay with-but I wanted to share and see if anyone has seen one of these in the metal before, in such condition- and if any red flags jump out. The know the crystal has been replaced , but Iím happy with that and they did a great job as it shows the outside scale on the dial perfectly. I trust the dealer and love the watch- just curious about what this awesome community thinks!

1) could the dial be a replacement dial from some point , since itís in such good condition? I betting itís not - but canít find anything but the original booklet photo in black and white.
    2) the seconds hand on the left Subdial seems like a replacement- does it seem off? Perhaps just aged differently?
    3) anyone know anything about the history of this specific model? It was war time and I know Breitling played a part.
    Im surprised to not see more of these out there - anyone know the reason for this since there are loads and loads of AVIís , etc?
    4) notice the ďantichocĒ on the dial- all I have found is ďpremierĒ or no writing at all- I know this is French for anti-shock, does that provide any information about the watches origin, etc, by chance?

Name:  22392059-9077-41D2-8054-30588387E7A5.jpeg
Views: 164
Size:  1.85 MBName:  B5D14C53-A204-4B3D-82DD-B1EB84FE2DE1.jpeg
Views: 168
Size:  1.62 MBName:  33D68291-34D2-40A7-B47B-C130009822FF.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  261.4 KBName:  D1558E02-B57C-4F69-8FA7-43EF95159EDC.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  89.1 KBName:  16CFE576-ACE3-4833-892D-172A8B31D703.jpeg
Views: 110
Size:  756.1 KB

Thanks in advance

Re: ďRAREĒ 1940ís Breitling 765 identification

Post in the Breitling forum or in the vintage forum at breitlingsource.com and nicely flag @WatchFred, or seek him out in one of the Breitling Facebook groups he visits occasionally.
    [email protected] likes this.

@arcadelt - thank for helping w/ the pics on bsource!

- the "anti choc" is fine for earlier examples, "Premier" only started to appear in ca. 1943 and was gradually introduced.
    - hands are relumed, afraid the dial is too, color & texture of the lume are off; dial is basically corerect
    - re history; there should be several articles here, the 734&765 were introduced by the "Breitling HUIT" military aviation division in 1938/39
    - subdial hands are fine

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much for your help @watchfred and @arcadelt !
    Appreciate the help. Sad to hear the dial has been relumed - but now that you mention it, it’s very obvious compared to older models. How does this usually effect the value- I’ve seen reports from 30% to 80% less value off of a modified dial- but since besides the lume all seems original, what would you personally feel is an adequate reduction. Opinion is fine! Haha- I know I’m responsible for my own purchases, it would just be nice to hear (even through a pm if that more suiting) what this type of alteration does to the value, assuming the mov’t is correct (I’m out of the country and so is the dealer- so no pic’s until dec 1st! ).

I like the watch and have been researching for about 3 weeks- I’m just new to the super vintage game and any pieces of wisdom from those who know I’d really appreciate if possible to save me from paying premium for an altered item sold as untouched, as I’m sure you have dealt with numerous times!!

@watchfred , your Timezone post on the topic is amazing!!! Thank you ! Retro-active thanks from 2009 ;)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    How does this usually effect the value- Iíve seen reports from 30% to 80% less value off of a modified dial- but since besides the lume all seems original, what would you personally feel is an adequate reduction.
    I am not a vintage watch guy, so I cannot comment on the relative values of original vs restored/renovated watches. I will say this, however. You will not be able to make an argument to a watch dealer about the quality and collectibility of a piece and expect him or her to come to a magic realisation that you are right and she or he then applies a pre-determined and universally accepted reduction formula. Besides, who is to say that the current asking price is not already the market value, with a dealer premium built in. It is more likely that if you do not want to pay his or her price (minus a small already built in discount), she or he will simply put the watch back on the shelf for someone who hasnít done your due diligence to fall in love with it and pay the asking price. This is why, if you can, it is better to deal with collectors. Of course, whether you will ever find the watch you are after that way is a matter or chance and luck.

Anyway, all the best with your decision.
    [email protected] likes this.

pm me re pricing; ideally when you have movement pics ;)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Thanks so much for your help @watchfred and @arcadelt !
    Appreciate the help. Sad to hear the dial has been relumed - but now that you mention it, itís very obvious compared to older models. How does this usually effect the value- Iíve seen reports from 30% to 80% less value off of a modified dial- but since besides the lume all seems original, what would you personally feel is an adequate reduction. Opinion is fine! Haha- I know Iím responsible for my own purchases, it would just be nice to hear (even through a pm if that more suiting) what this type of alteration does to the value, assuming the movít is correct (Iím out of the country and so is the dealer- so no picís until dec 1st! ).

I like the watch and have been researching for about 3 weeks- Iím just new to the super vintage game and any pieces of wisdom from those who know Iíd really appreciate if possible to save me from paying premium for an altered item sold as untouched, as Iím sure you have dealt with numerous times!!

You’re amazing @watchfred , will do - thank you!!!

Thread Information