0 size Elgin fourth wheel.....

Thread: 0 size Elgin fourth wheel.....

0 size Elgin fourth wheel.....

Hi! I have a 1912 0 size 15 jewel Elgin with a broken fourth wheel. I am thinking about buying a 0 size movement to salvage the fourth wheel from an other parts aswell, but i dont know what movement to buy. Ther are so many grades on the movements and i dont have a clue what grade my movement is. Will a fourth wheel from any 0 size movement fit my watch or are the wheels different depending on what grade the movement is? I have seen some 7 jewel movements with reasonable prices on ebay but havent dared to buy one since i dont know if it would fit my 15 jewel watch..

Re: 0 size Elgin fourth wheel.....

Sometimes they drop right in and sometimes they don't, you'll have to take a chance or just wait for the same thing.

I find that even if the watch is the same size, sometimes you need to get a movement that is around the same age or the gear may not fit just right. I usually try to get a movement that has a serial number in the same range. If I have a watch with a serial number of 15 million, one with a serial number of 30 million may not work right.

Re: 0 size Elgin fourth wheel.....

Ok thanks! Its probably best to wait for a serial near to my watch then. Is there a difference between openface and hunters case movements? I'm asking because on ebay the movements are listed as either openface or hunters movements.

Thread Information