0 size Gruen posted 4 days past is not. - Page 3
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 0 size Gruen posted 4 days past is not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 0 size Gruen posted 4 days past is not.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Interesting; I'd have guessed a later date based on the dial type. Is the dial held by side screws?
    2 posts show in mvnt. photo. Friction fit I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Umm...no. The Gruen Watch Case Company (which at this point was a separate company from the Gruen Watch company) was an american company, and it has no hallmarks, so it was probably made and sold in the U.S. with an imported swiss movement. Prior to 1909, there were no requirements to mark the movement when importing into the U.S., but after 1909 they'd have to mark the country of origin, manufacturer, number of jewels and number of adjustments.
    An important to me way to sort out at least fine early Gruen p.w. as before or after 1909. Their serials 100k-150k went to 1928 because the sequence was changed for use on specials and Dietrich Gruens. Ihave 1928 D.Gruen p.w. that is 150k. THANKYOU ART B.

An expert described the emerald to confirm daughter's opinion with the 3 fine diamonds as top grade worth more than the 3 diamonds. Mae West was a critically expert colector of jewelry and got the birthstone emerald to replace unknown original. A fine gift 1976. Her 1933 photo; age 35?

Name:  IMG_1991aax.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  207.4 KBName:  1933-mae-west - Copy.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  166.2 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Here a for sure 1905 rarest first model Verithin Gruen 17L hunter hinged but open face. Is solid gold case and dial. Dial screws visible in movement. I guessed 1908 because of Gruen 130k serial on 19j movement of the little one. Verithin here is scarce but not earliest I have also with similar metal dial serial 122k. I did finally get a 102 serial Gruen Verithin which maybe indicates numbers started at 100k.
    Attachment 1137813Attachment 1137809Attachment 1137812Attachment 1137817
    Art,

I know this 17L pocket watch looks like a Gruen, but other than the Veri-Thin designation on the movement(and yours has a "-" separating the model name) there is no Gruen name or DG&S stamp I can see. Same for the dial. It is the retailer's name I'm sure.

This seems very unique to me after following all your posts and looking at a bunch of pictures over several Forums about these Gruens you like so well(me,too!!)

It seems to me the name should be somewhere on the movement. Had you noticed this before?

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Here a for sure 1905 rarest first model Verithin Gruen 17L hunter hinged but open face. Is solid gold case and dial. Dial screws visible in movement. I guessed 1908 because of Gruen 130k serial on 19j movement of the little one. Verithin here is scarce but not earliest I have also with similar metal dial serial 122k. I did finally get a 102 serial Gruen Verithin which maybe indicates numbers started at 100k.
    Attachment 1137813Attachment 1137809Attachment 1137812Attachment 1137817

I have a similar styled dial in a Gruen 14kt gold Hunter case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

FWIW, the first successful mass-produced American 30-hour watch had(or more properly still has) a metal dial not terribly unlike the ones often associated with mid-1850s English watches-i.e. it is gold with an elaborately detailed center section.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Mine differs from the other one in that it is a true Hunter case, a large 10s or small 12s. COA will confirm measurement of pillar plate.

Would love to see an example that DGruen was paying homage towards with his designs.

I have a DG&S stamped dial and movement in a ladies wristlet much like my dial and it has a 10.5 ligne Rebberg 15j movement looking for a case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FINALLY CONFIRMED by SILKE of Germany that movement is kal. 6 by LE COULTRE. artb

Name:  lecoultre-cal_6.gif
Views: 19
Size:  30.6 KBName:  IMG_2641a.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  203.8 KB
    Last edited by artb; March 10th, 2015 at 10:41.
    James A likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information