Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By BeauHarper
  • 2 Post By bsshog40
  • 1 Post By bobbee
  • 1 Post By bobbee
  • 3 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: 10 sided waltham pocket watch Questions

10 sided waltham pocket watch Questions

Any info would be greatly appreciated. My cousin was an avid collector of all antiques. He passed away in his 20s. his father then gave me this piece. I too am an antique collector and often blame this on my cousin (as it is unusual to find collectors at my young age of 15). The serial number is 25795327 (movement). has a gold colour to it but no markings of any gold content. will wind but wont run.
    Thanks in advance,
    Beau
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

Re: 10 sided waltham pocket watch Questions

Just looking the serial up shows you have an 1894 size 12, 15 jewel waltham. More than likely looks like a gold filled case.
    Last edited by bsshog40; July 27th, 2015 at 05:19.
    busmatt and BeauHarper like this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Bobby is right, and it dates to 1926.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...ltham/25795327
    BeauHarper likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hey guys!
    Thanks for the quick response, I did take a look at that site. I found it very helpful. have any of you ever seen a case like this?
    Thanks

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Yes, BULOVA advertised a men's Rubaiyat model in 1919, and also several Hudson Maxim models in the early 1920's.
    Several US manufacturers advertised this style p/w in the early 20th C.
    BeauHarper likes this.

This watch was built in the "old" tradition, where movements were purchased seperately from the case. The case was made in Canada (Toronto) by the American Watch Case Co., so likely the watch was purchased up here as well (there were enough watch case companies in the US that there really wouldn't have been much point in exporting them). American Watch Case Co.

At this point in history, it was against the law in Canada to advertise watch case guarantees the way that American companies did, which is one of the reasons the Canadian factory managed to exist into the 30's.

A 12size watch in the 20's would have been considered a man's fancy dress watch, and the many sided case may have been inspired somewhat by the Gruen Pentagon cases (which were patented), although at this point, watches in general were becoming more and more "fashion" oriented, and cases were increasingly elaborate and fancy.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    This watch was built in the "old" tradition, where movements were purchased seperately from the case. The case was made in Canada (Toronto) by the American Watch Case Co., so likely the watch was purchased up here as well (there were enough watch case companies in the US that there really wouldn't have been much point in exporting them). American Watch Case Co.

At this point in history, it was against the law in Canada to advertise watch case guarantees the way that American companies did, which is one of the reasons the Canadian factory managed to exist into the 30's.

A 12size watch in the 20's would have been considered a man's fancy dress watch, and the many sided case may have been inspired somewhat by the Gruen Pentagon cases (which were patented), although at this point, watches in general were becoming more and more "fashion" oriented, and cases were increasingly elaborate and fancy.
    that explains so much! It makes a lot of sense, In the late 20s wrist watch's were also becoming more and more popular, due to shape size and design I would definitely agree

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

I've seen a lot of these cases.

I've even had a bunch of them in gold. As much as I hate to admit it, I've actually scrapped a fair number of gold ones. The gold is usually thin and they are often beat to heck. If it's a nice case, I'll keep/sell it, but otherwise it goes in the pot. The last one I scrapped was $300, and that was with gold at $1600/oz. In other words, there's not a lot of gold in them.

Gold filled cases in this style(fortunately) hold up a lot better.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thread Information