The 100 Year Anniversary of WWI is Saturday June 28th, Let's See Your Trench Watches
Like Tree445Likes

Thread: The 100 Year Anniversary of WWI is Saturday June 28th, Let's See Your Trench Watches

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

The 100 Year Anniversary of WWI is Saturday June 28th, Let's See Your Trench Watches

The 100 year anniversary of WWI is this Saturday June 28th, 2014.

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria by Yugoslavian nationalist Gavrilo Princip on June 28th, 1914 in Sarajevo is seen as the trigger of the Great War.

Shortly thereafter many nations declared war and sides were chosen, the world was in turmoil for five bloody years.

History shows us that when war breaks out advances in technology follow shortly thereafter.

Wrist watches certainly saw advances in technology during the Great War.

Watch movement factories and watch case manufacturers around the world stepped up production to meet the demand of war.

Rapid advancements in movement design, dial design and case designs were soon on the wrists of the young men in the trenches.

As we all know, timing is one of the most important aspects of any military operation.

So let us honor these brave souls who originally wore these watches over the next few days by wearing our WWI Trench Watches.

For the rest of the day I'll be wearing Achel W. Johnson's 1917 Elgin Trench Watch.

Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War" & "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

www.lrfantiquewatches.com

www.facebook.com/WWITrenchWatch

Re: The 100 Year Anniversary of WWI is Saturday June 28th, Let's See Your Trench Watches

I prefer celebrating the ending of wars...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: The 100 Year Anniversary of WWI is Saturday June 28th, Let's See Your Trench Watches

Nothing as fancy as yours but I do have a sterile Swiss trench watch Great size at 38mm not including crown and I got it cheap. It seems ti stopping a little on the wrist so it needs a service.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I prefer celebrating the ending of wars...
    Who said anything about celebrating ? ? ?

This thread is here to honor the brave souls who originally wore these watches.
    jackruff and JackW like this.
    Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War" & "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

You know anything about my watch, Literustyfan?

Movement.

Literustyfan likes this.

Not ready to wear since I haven't had it on my bench yet - but here is my "trench"...A pretty typical Depollier cased Waltham, with the Model 1907 3/0 7j movement. I think this watch is the 'entry level' for WWI period wristwatches. Pretty early - the serial number dates to 1915, and I believe the case is the earlier version (???). Anyway, here it is.

Name:  KhakiOverview.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  149.4 KBName:  KhakiMovement1.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  162.0 KBName:  KhakiInsideBack1.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  175.3 KB

borgel case with gallet movement, case mark from 1915;

elgin offset. this was the first, and only, watch i ever serviced myself. bryan girouard (coronado) bought it, cleaned it up a tiny bit more and resold it on his site.

this beauty had an intergrated shrapnel guard case that, stupidly, i never photographed. this was a temp case while the hinge was being fixed on the other.

i still own none of these. i really only regret selling the elgin.

Quote Originally Posted by NoLeftTurn View Post
    You know anything about my watch, Literustyfan?

Movement.

Adam might be able to help you out with this one, my expertise is in American watches form this period not the Swiss ones, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Not ready to wear since I haven't had it on my bench yet - but here is my "trench"...A pretty typical Depollier cased Waltham, with the Model 1907 3/0 7j movement. I think this watch is the 'entry level' for WWI period wristwatches. Pretty early - the serial number dates to 1915, and I believe the case is the earlier version (???). Anyway, here it is.

Name:  KhakiOverview.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  149.4 KBName:  KhakiMovement1.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  162.0 KBName:  KhakiInsideBack1.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  175.3 KB
    That is a pre-September 1917 Depollier case.

You can tell because it does not have the "double clinched bezel".

I would not call that Depollier "entry level", an Ingersoll is entry level.
    HOROLOGIST007 and pilotswatch like this.

I absolutely love that 24 hour dial Sherwood !
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information