14k 1950 Croton Automatic and John Wanamaker watch help, please?!

Thread: 14k 1950 Croton Automatic and John Wanamaker watch help, please?!

Question 14k 1950 Croton Automatic and John Wanamaker watch help, please?!

Hey all! This is my very first post and I am very glad I found this site ^_^ I have this awesome Croton automatic watch, that sadly does not work. It is inscribed in the back and also reads 14k gold L&K. The back of the case if attached with 4 small screws and all but one will come off so I cant find anything out about its insides. This watch was given to Albert E Savage as a 25yr Club gift from the now nonexistent Frank&Seder on May 23 1952. I cant find much about this kind of watch and Id like to knwo a little something before I take it to someone who will think Im some dumb girl who they can put a pass on to get an awesome watch.

The other watch I have really boggles my mind. Its a tiny womans watch in a 14k case, the band is GF. It reads AVON 14k on the inside of the case back, and John Wanamaker on the dial. I have tried to do some research and i can not find ONE John Wanamaker watch for the life of me! Anyone have ANY kind of info??

Pics to follow!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Trishy; May 4th, 2010 at 00:45.

Re: 14k 1950 Croton Automatic and John Wanamaker watch help, please?!

Also, the Swiss made calfskin band on the Croton was added by me. I bought the watch without the band for less than what a dollar store would charge.

For the John Wanamaker, Im not sure if the band is original. I think not because the case is 14k but the stretch band is only 10k GF so it doesn't match up O_o The movements also have 'John Wanamaker' on it, but nothing else really significant like numbers
    Last edited by Trishy; May 4th, 2010 at 02:43.

It is possible John Wanamaker was the jeweler who sold the watch. Movement photos are often more revealing than dial and case photos.

You may be right about the band not being original... the colors do not appear to match.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Right above the jewels, it says John Wanamaker. The movement is small, so a close up was kinda tough >_<
    Attached Images Attached Images

It helps. The movement appears to be a variant of the FFH 60. Without shock protection the movement probably dates to the 40s or 50s. That generally corresponds to the case.

I warn you I don't know a lot about women's movements or watches of this era.

In general, folks would buy movements from speciality houses (like FHF, Fabrique d'Horlogerie de Fontainemelon in France) and assemble them and wholesale them to retailers. But they would routinely 'brand' them with a jeweler's name if the jeweler bought in sufficient quantity or paid a sufficient price.

I hope that helps some.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks for that info! Maybe was John Wanamaker an AVON retailer since the avon name is in the back of the case? Its just odd with both names together on the same watch but they seemingly have nothing to do with each other >_<

John Wanamaker was evidently a major merchant in Philadelphia PA. HERE is the Wikipedia article.

Looking again, I think the ladies watch is older than the 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    John Wanamaker was evidently a major merchant in Philadelphia PA. HERE is the Wikipedia article.

Looking again, I think the ladies watch is older than the 40's.
    wow very interesting! I actually live 45 minutes outside of Philadelphia so maybe the watch didn't wander that far from home? I should look into getting it cleaned and serviced to get it back into working order!

Thread Information