14K Longines Chronograph Caliber 30CH In-House movement. More info? Dial refinished or custom made?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ddashoff699

Thread: 14K Longines Chronograph Caliber 30CH In-House movement. More info? Dial refinished or custom made?

14K Longines Chronograph Caliber 30CH In-House movement. More info? Dial refinished or custom made?

Hello,

I just acquired a Longines flyback chronograph. The movement is spotless and runs well. I wanted to know if you guys could tell me the year it was manufactured. The movement's serial number is: # 8363566 and the cases' number is: # 5965 6

The research I've done, by the movement's number, puts the watch at 1952. Am I right there? Maybe the style of the case and back case design could help identify the age? All the 30ch movement watches I've seen have the Longines wing symbol on the back case plate and I've never seen a gold case with cylindrical push buttons.

What I also want to know whether or not the dial was refinished or custom made. The chrono second and minute sub dials seem to give away that something peculiar is going on, but it would seem like only an idiot would refinish the two subdials in such a lopsided manner. Maybe the watch dial was custom made for some purpose to have the numbers put that way? Let me know what you can! Thanks!

Last edited by ddashoff699; September 13th, 2012 at 06:41.
    tim_s likes this.

Re: 14K Longines Chronograph Caliber 30CH In-House movement. More info? Dial refinished or custom ma

If the dial is refinished, it was refinished many years ago. Looks original to me.

Gold cases were probably not made in house. Hence the possible difference with the caseback markings.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: 14K Longines Chronograph Caliber 30CH In-House movement. More info? Dial refinished or custom ma

woww ...i love the dial...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmm - it just seems so strange to me that the chrono sub dials are not balanced at all. What explanation is there for this?

Quote Originally Posted by ddashoff699 View Post
    Hmm - it just seems so strange to me that the chrono sub dials are not balanced at all. What explanation is there for this?
    The pictures look symmetric... The movement determines the relative dial positions. The case determines the dial size -- gold cases are usually thinner and smaller than the norm.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

dial is original, year of manufacture between 1945-1949. The 30ch is one of the very best and finest chronograph movements ever made
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thread Information