The 165th 1872 model Waltham Made
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben_hutcherson
  • 1 Post By Ben_hutcherson

Thread: The 165th 1872 model Waltham Made

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The 165th 1872 model Waltham Made

This was one of my few prizes from an overall mediocre NAWCC National Convention. The first run of 1872 model Waltham movements ran from SN 600,001 to 600,500, and were 16j gilt Am'n grade.

Mine is SN 600,165, meaning that by the serial number it was the 165th 1872 model movement. I've seen and held lower numbers than this, but I was happy to find this one and the price was right on it.

Name:  IMG_3425.JPG
Views: 619
Size:  272.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3426.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  250.7 KB

I also have a couple of examples from the second run of 1872 model movements. I'd really like to add an example of the third run to my collection, but I know that one of those won't come cheaply.
    pmwas likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

RTB

Re: The 165th 1872 model Waltham Made

Wow ! very nice movement :)

Nice movement Ben. Do you have a case for it? Looks to be one of those cases where the stem fits into the crown, very hard to find! Ron

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

This one will likely remain uncased.

1872 model movements have a number of special casing requirements. They are listed as 16 size, but are actually about 16 1/2 at the pillar plate, and are thicker than most Amrican 16 size watches. There are a couple of Waltham models that share these dimensions, but all have their own unique winding and setting arrangements that require special consideration. The 1872s, as you pointed out, need a female stem in the case.

The vast majority of 1872s are lever set, and the set lever needs an abnormal wide cut-out as it pivots out from the edge of the movement rather than pulling out. The one case screw is located on the pillar plate, and a correct case will need a milled area in the case band for this to fit.

This particular one is push set, and would need either a button set or a Fitch's Patent nail set case for the setting mechanism to work. That makes it really tough to case.

1872 model watches were high end watches in their time, even in the lower grades within the model. As such, the majority were originally sold in gold cases. In typical 1870s-1880s fashion, the usual case was heavy in construction, with well over 2 oz. of gold being typical. Many of these heavy cases have fared poorly over the last couple of gold rushes, and the recent gold prices have made the heavy cases prohibitively expensive for common watches.

Silver and gold filled 1872 cases do exist-in fact I have four in silver(three coin and a sterling) but are actually much less common than the gold cases. Empty 1872 GF and silver cases typically sell for shocking prices. I've been offered over $500 for my OF sterling case.
    Paleotime likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Great one. In fact - fabulous!
    Have a great day!!!

Here's the one I've found

Also nice and very early. A lower, Park Road grade.

The dial:

The gold balance screws:

And the movement disassembled and seen in details. I don't put the whole thing here, because it's large (long to be precise), so if you're interested, click on the link below:

http://pmwatch.republika.pl/English/...mt_1872_1.html
    Have a great day!!!

Thread Information