16s 1903 Elgin gold pocket watch

Thread: 16s 1903 Elgin gold pocket watch

16s 1903 Elgin gold pocket watch

Found this for sale, wife is not happy that I found it. I know the forum does not give valuations but is this owrth me getting into trouble over.

Solid Gold hunter case w internal dust cover, engraved with flowers and swiss chalet cabin

7J movement, dont know if its working, but I know this is not a high grade movement that needs a crystal and second hand, comes iwth a gold plated chain and Ruby ended nail file, sorta strange.

Lady wants $625, pass on it or get in alot of trouble??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 16s 1903 Elgin gold pocket watch

$625?

I'd pay that for an awesome RR watch, but not for this. I wouldn't bother.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I looked on a 05 price guide and the 7J movement is not up there in price. I sorta figured you were buying this for the case and that while the price is fair its not worth being in the doghouse over it. Your thoughts on this will keep me out of trouble for now. Thanks!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For $625, I would expect a hell of a watch that keeps top-notch time. A 7J watch will keep decent time. My 7J Waltham from 1899 keeps +/- a minute a week, but that's no gaurantee that this watch will. At that price, you're paying mostly for the gold. In that condition, I wouldn't pay the money. And even if it was in great condition, I still wouldn't.

Whoever's trying to sell it sounds like what I call a "gold freak". They see the gold and they immediately think it's worth a fortune.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I would pass, it would bug me, that the movement isn't up to the standards of the case. I would eventually start looking for a high grade movement, in the long run, it'll be cheaper to purchase everything together. I would value it at gold value plus $25

When I saw the Gruen 50th post last week I about died, what a beautiful watch got me looking at things I should not as I get in trouble with wifey. I have a Tissot pocket watch that is new production I was given when graduating University back in 2000, its manual wind and now I want to check out the movement but I think I will be disappointed after seeing the Gruen 50th. thanks for replying.

Pocket-watch movements are no-longer demaskeened (given those swirly, metal patterns on the movement-plates) anymore, so you won't find anything that awesome in a modern pocket watch.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information