17 Jewel Vintage Titus - 1940s?

Thread: 17 Jewel Vintage Titus - 1940s?

17 Jewel Vintage Titus - 1940s?

Dear Vintage Watchuseekers,
    This was my late grandfather's 17 jewel Titus. I had it serviced, and you might want to share info you may know about it. It's around 35 mm, has nickel casing with stainless steel back and a really 30s or 40s original antique looking bracelet which I'll post later. I had that changed with an 18 mm leather brown crocodile because the original really looks out of this age now. The word incabloc on the dial I think either means non-magnetic or shock-proof.

I love this watch. Its original crystal had a cyclops eye, but it was cracked open by my grandfather. He was a doctor in peace time and a guerilla in the mountains of Bulacan in WWII when the Japanese invaded us. The air intrusion from the cracked open crystal aged the dial, and after the cleaning, I left the antiquated look because it looks fine to me like an old newspaper look. I may not have it redialed anymore, but if you have other opinions about that, you can also advise me. I may not have a cyclops eye placed anymore on the crystal too. Thanks and hope you like this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 17 Jewel Vintage Titus - 1940s?

Incabloc refers to the type of shock protection in the watch.

I don't think that this watch dates to the 1940s. The 1960s would be closer. The movement appears to be a FHF 96-4 caliber (Fontainemelon).

I agree with JimH that it's likely 1960s. You won't see a date window like that in the 1940s. Also center seconds were rare in the 1940s.
    I wouldn't suggest you get it redialed as it is legible. Thank you for your post.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not redial is a wise decision. Arcyllic crsystals with cyclops are rare now. Fine to go with a common one.
    We are all boys before watches.
    My Watch Blog: http://timeofflow.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    I agree with JimH that it's likely 1960s. You won't see a date window like that in the 1940s. Also center seconds were rare in the 1940s.
    I wouldn't suggest you get it redialed as it is legible. Thank you for your post.
    Gosh, I'm glad I posted this. 'was thinking 40s because of this bracelet. It was attached to it when my mom gave it to me in 2002. I don't know if she used it too even if it was my grandfather's. The diameter is small at 30-35 mm making it possible for women to wear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by alexiscabel View Post
    Gosh, I'm glad I posted this. 'was thinking 40s because of this bracelet. It was attached to it when my mom gave it to me in 2002. I don't know if she used it too even if it was my grandfather's. The diameter is small at 30-35 mm making it possible for women to wear.
    The bracelet looks to be from the 70's to me, as does the watch...

30-35 mm was a common size for a mans watch in the 60-70s time period. Women today might wear it, but in that period this was considered way to big to interest a woman. And the bracelet is a man's bracelet. But you know your mom's tastes better than we do!

There are a lot of these 17 jeweled Titus winders available. They were generally treated like something you wanted to keep.

Titus, Belair, Bucherer, and some brands like Candino are the source of great watches at reasonable prices in todays market.

Write down what you know and put it with the watch. Someone someday will really appreciate that.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    The bracelet looks to be from the 70's to me, as does the watch...

30-35 mm was a common size for a mans watch in the 60-70s time period. Women today might wear it, but in that period this was considered way to big to interest a woman. And the bracelet is a man's bracelet. But you know your mom's tastes better than we do!

There are a lot of these 17 jeweled Titus winders available. They were generally treated like something you wanted to keep.

Titus, Belair, Bucherer, and some brands like Candino are the source of great watches at reasonable prices in todays market.

Write down what you know and put it with the watch. Someone someday will really appreciate that.
    Thanks Eeeb. I think my mom just kept it wrapped in cloth and in plastic because of the crack. I'm surprised the bracelet is from the 70s. I was a 70s kid myself.

Quote Originally Posted by alexiscabel View Post
    Thanks Eeeb. I think my mom just kept it wrapped in cloth and in plastic because of the crack. I'm surprised the bracelet is from the 70s. I was a 70s kid myself.
    Hummmm... well, I remember the 70s! Great times except for the war....
    hummmm... well, some things never seem to change
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information