18 carat Gold full hunter pocket watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mackers

Thread: 18 carat Gold full hunter pocket watch

18 carat Gold full hunter pocket watch

Hi , I would like some help identifying the hallmark on this watch and also the movement, it could be Thomas Russell of Liverpool . Cheers Neil
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt and radger like this.

Re: 18 carat Gold full hunter pocket watch

Hello! There are usually other Marks on the case...they will indicate the Year and area where the case was made...if your case has more marks, please post the images! Note, also, that it sometimes happened, that the movement and case were made in different years, and/or cities! ps: nice watch!

Hi Mackers,
    That is a very nice watch.

The movement is a typical English 3/4 plate movement with going barrel of high quality.

Although the movement is jewelled to the fourth, the third being unjewelled, the escapement
    is of great quality.

Compensated balance with Breguet overcoil hairspring. The balance is fitted with quarter 'nut's rather than
    mean time screws, the lever and probably the escape wheel having capped jewels.

The ebauche is typical of ebauches being produced at that time C1900 in centers of ebauche making such as Coventry
    or Preston in Lancashire.

Often, under the dial, the stamped initials of the ebauche maker will be found.
    The finisher or watchmaker is engraved on the movement, why do you think this watch
    might be by Tho Russell?

That Hallmark is for 18K gold, are there other hallmarks such as a date letter and city mark? pics of these will date the
    watch.

The serial number on the case and on the movement match, as they should.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Gentlemen, thank you for your prompt replies. The watchmaker I took the watch to for servicing believes it to be Tho Russell because of the similarity to other Russell movements. There are no other hallmarks or markings of any kind except for Jewellers markings as seen in 2nd photo. It has been valued at AUD $3500 . Do you think this is a fair estimate . I remember the look on the watchmakers face when I showed it to him, I knew instantly it was something special! I wish I could find more info on the k18 hallmark , I have scoured the net and nothing comes up . Thanks again.

Hi ALL, I have been informed that the hallmarks are Swiss , could anyone corroborate that? Cheers

Hi Radger, I am told by an 'expert' in the UK that the case may have been made in America. I find that hard to believe, your thoughts? Then another "expert' says they are swiss hallmarks pre1880, this makes sense as the jewellers markings show a date which looks like 1878 [see photo ] Have you any more thoughts on the mechanism? Cheers NeilName:  POSSIBLE DATE (1).jpg
Views: 70
Size:  237.7 KBName:  POSSIBLE DATE (1).jpg
Views: 70
Size:  237.7 KBName:  mechanism (1).jpg
Views: 74
Size:  2.14 MBName:  mechanism (1).jpg
Views: 74
Size:  2.14 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mackers View Post
    Hi Radger, I am told by an 'expert' in the UK that the case may have been made in America. I find that hard to believe, your thoughts? Then another "expert' says they are swiss hallmarks pre1880, this makes sense as the jewellers markings show a date which looks like 1878 [see photo ] Have you any more thoughts on the mechanism? Cheers Neil
    Hi Neil,

Identifying the origin of your watch is not so straight forward as first thought.

It is possible that your watch is entirely Swiss made or the cased ebauche was bought in from Switzerland.
    I don't know this hallmark but Swiss would explain things.

There were a few Swiss companies producing 'English' ebauches, ie English ratchet lever escapement.

Look at these pics from this excellent thread by TickTalk which discusses in part Swiss makers of English style
    ebauches.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/loo...rs-959036.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1339626&stc=1&d=138930 0530

https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachm...8&d=1389467648

Hi Radger, thanks for your help, I never thought I be this obsessed about a watch , haha. Cheers Neil

Thread Information