1870's Patek Philippe Hybrid
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Eeeb
  • 1 Post By radger
  • 2 Post By Gumby992

Thread: 1870's Patek Philippe Hybrid

1870's Patek Philippe Hybrid

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and thought I'd jump right in. I have been looking at trying to break into collecting with a Patek Philippe and came across this watch on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=151376809594 I really think it's a beautiful piece but I was hoping someone with more knowledge could shed some light as to whether such a piece would/should be desirable and what an appropriate price for a similar watch (age, hybrid, etc) would be. I know this watch isn't for sale anymore (was on my watch list) but I'm trying to get some info and hopefully build a knowledge to be able to jump on any other possibilities I come across.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to becoming active on the forums.

Re: 1870's Patek Philippe Hybrid

Junk made in the Ukraine. I assume the sale was made to a shill bidder. No one in their right mind would pay $7K+ for this. For that you could buy a real Patek.

Search the forum for "ukraine" and see a series of discussions of these rip offs...
    eri231 likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

But the movement and dial are original?
    I really like that dial :)
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    dial are original?
    I really like that dial :)
    No way.
    The original dial would have been ceramic and unfussy.
    Nice movement though.
    laikrodukas likes this.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The watch probably does contain a genuine Patek pocket watch movement - I don't know. But everything else is brand new - the case and dial are an important part of any watch and these were not made by Patek. So well informed collectors would not want to own it or anything like it.

As Eeeb says, there is money to be made from taking old pocket watch movements and recasing them like this. So people do it - particularly in the Ukraine for some reason, but elsewhere as well. This was probably bought by an unsuspecting person who has worn it a few times - finding it to be heavy and cumbersome on the wrist and so its now 'Gently Used'.

The listing is honest, but embellished with irrelevant blurb about watch history to distract from the bare facts. It is not a vintage watch as we know them.

Good luck in your search for a nice, authentic, watch to start your collection.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

By having the Patek Philippe name on the new dial they have created a fake watch, not just a marriage of an old pocket watch movement and a new case/dial. This crosses the line into fakery as the new dial advertises the the watch as a PP product, which it isn't.
    Eeeb and HOROLOGIST007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gd_money View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and thought I'd jump right in. I have been looking at trying to break into collecting with a Patek Philippe and came across this watch on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=151376809594 I really think it's a beautiful piece but I was hoping someone with more knowledge could shed some light as to whether such a piece would/should be desirable and what an appropriate price for a similar watch (age, hybrid, etc) would be. I know this watch isn't for sale anymore (was on my watch list) but I'm trying to get some info and hopefully build a knowledge to be able to jump on any other possibilities I come across.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to becoming active on the forums.
    Hi and welcome
    as soon as I read your post, I suspected it was a 'Ukraine Franken'

No one 'breaks into collecting' starting with Patek Philippe's, even this 'franken' sold for over $7000 (because it is a Patek pocket watch movement). A true Patek would be 2 or 3 times that!

The watch is a fake of the worst kind a 'franken'

Sorry to disappoint you
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information