1873 English Fusee

Thread: 1873 English Fusee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1873 English Fusee

I would like to share a watch I restored recently. It is a simple seven jewel English fusee in an open face case. The case is sterling silver & hallmarked for 1873. All the serial numbers match. Typical for this period it is key wound and set.

This is how I received the watch. Overall in good condition but not working. Also, the minute hand was broken. By a stroke of luck, I had a spare hand that fit beautifully. It reaches exactly to the minute track! The balance would not move freely but that was only because of the incredible amount of dirt inside.

Further investigation revealed a few problem. Below you can see the maintaining-power wheel from the fusee. If you look through all the dirt you will notice that one of the clicks is broken. You can also see the spare click I intend to install.

The spare click was installed after some adjustments........

....... and here are all the parts of the fusee ready for lubrication and assembly.

The chain had the fusee hook missing. Upon measurement, it appeared to be all there. So, I decided to install a spare hook that I had. A rivet was filed up, sized and then riveted on the staking set. Below, you can see the hook just before it was riveted which is why the rivet sticks out a bit.

Here are all the parts ready for assembly.

I disassembled the case. There was rust on almost all the steel parts. All were treated to some Brooke Bond Red Label . The button is a replacement made of brass. I decided to retain it since I haven't got a spare. I also chose against polishing the case. All the dirt & grime was removed with the ultrasonic & a toothbrush but the tarnish remains.

This watch has been running beautifully for the last few days. I have not timed it accurately but it is within 15 seconds per day. Power reserve is 31.5 hours.

Hope you enjoyed reading about this watch
    Last edited by aditya; January 20th, 2011 at 20:05.

Re: 1873 English Fusee

I am also quite a fan of these, and I think you did a wonderful job. Very nice

This is something I also intend to tackle in the near future. Nice to see your approach. The only question I have is, did you have any problems leaving the rivet head proud like that on the chain? Or did you grind it flat later?
    Last edited by trim; January 20th, 2011 at 20:11.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I am also quite a fan of these, and I think you did a wonderful job. Very nice

This is something I also intend to tackle in the near future. Nice to see your approach. The only question I have is, did you have any problems leaving the rivet head proud like that on the chain? Or did you grind it flat later?
    Thanks for the kind words!

The picture of the chain was taken before I gave the rivet a tap in the staking set. After that the rivet head is almost invisible.

Aditya

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awesome job. I have a similar looking watch that I fully intend to service once I get into my new place...assuming i work up the courage. Seeing what you did is very encouraging.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for posting, that is a very good job! We need more postings of of older English watches.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Thanks for posting, that is a very good job! We need more postings of of older English watches.
    Thanks for the compliment

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Awesome job. I have a similar looking watch that I fully intend to service once I get into my new place...assuming i work up the courage. Seeing what you did is very encouraging.
    I would recommend 'practical watch repair' by Donald Decarle. There is an entire chapter on the English lever.

Aditya
    Last edited by aditya; January 21st, 2011 at 17:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    We need more postings of of older English watches.
    I think you will get your wish (one day)

This is my to-do box - all will be able to be repaired eventually. There are actually 2 important ones missing from this photo, but I forgot to grab them for the photo op. Slightly more than half are fusee, the others are going barrels. The Decimal Fusee Chronograph, WWI issued watch and 17 Jewel lever Fusee are the stars in this lot. As I said, I like these.

P.S. to the forum mods. We need a straight-jacket emoticon.
    Last edited by trim; January 21st, 2011 at 23:41.

Found a copy on Amazon for $13cdn...on its way to me now!
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

WOW....very nice to see one of these apart.....the finished product is beautiful. Thanks for posting!!
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Well done on getting this fine looking old fusee up and running Aditya.

I'm impressed that you repaired the fusee chain, that is something I've never
    attempted partly because I have a stock of very good chains but mainly because
    I couldn't take the stress, wondering if my repair would hold whilst the train is under
    power.

Great job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information