1876 Rotherhams
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mondodec

Thread: 1876 Rotherhams

Smile 1876 Rotherhams

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum. I was wondering if any body can help me to identifie this watch and let me know how commen this watch is. it has been passed down for 4 generations now. i had it dated by a local jewler but they were unable to tell me how common this watch is. You will have to exuse me as i do not know much about these sorts of watches.

It has a white face with roman numarels and Rotherhams London printed on it. also has a little face for the second at the bottom which is not in roman numerals. its not gold but i am not sure what it is made of , it is silver in colour.

I know i have probably just discribed alot of watches of this era but if someone is interested in helping me if there is any questions that you want to fire at me about this watch i will answer them.

Your help would be greatly appriciated.

Re: 1876 Rotherhams

Well the watchface would be a nice, ceramic dial, with a minute (or seconds) subdial, which I suspect would be located at the 6 o'clock position (right?)

If the watch is silver in colour, it could be made of either nickel (cheaper), or silver (which would naturally be more expensive). I'm not sure if watches of this age would also have been made of steel.

If you can provide photos of the watch, especially the dial, any inscriptions/logos and photos of the watch-movement (mechanics inside the watch), that will help several of the experts here tell you more about how old it is, where it was made and how common (or uncommon) such a watch might've been.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thanks for your reply. You are right the sub-dial is at the 6 position. I will take some photo's when i can get a chance. the watch has a number of markings on the inside of the rear cover Including some Punch marks of what looks like a lion, another of the letter "A", a Triangle with a shield, can you make any light of what these would be.
    Kind Regards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a rotherhams wrist watch that was custom made for my grandfather and has the family name on it.

Rotherhams were based in Coventry and began in 1747 when the firm of Vale was established, Samuel Vale serving as Mayor of Coventry on several separate occasions. The firm subsequently became Vale & Howlette, then Vale, Howlette, Carr & Rotherham. Richard Kevitt Rotherham was a former apprentice of the firm which eventually became Rotherham & Sons. Rotherhams went on to become the major employer and manufacturer and came to enjoy an international reputation. By 1899 they employed 400 - 500 people plus about 200 outworkers and produced 100 watches a day.

Rotherhams lasted longer than the other factories although others diversified to survive. In 1930 Rotherhams ceased watch production, turning to instruments and timers, some with military applications. Clocks were made until 1964, frequently being used as presentation pieces. In 1973 Rotherhams were incorporated into Cornercroft Engineering and were recently bought by their management in a deal backed by the Bank of Scotland.......according to my notes.

Cheers

desmond

Quote Originally Posted by dustin View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum. I was wondering if any body can help me to identifie this watch and let me know how commen this watch is. it has been passed down for 4 generations now. i had it dated by a local jewler but they were unable to tell me how common this watch is. You will have to exuse me as i do not know much about these sorts of watches.

It has a white face with roman numarels and Rotherhams London printed on it. also has a little face for the second at the bottom which is not in roman numerals. its not gold but i am not sure what it is made of , it is silver in colour.

I know i have probably just discribed alot of watches of this era but if someone is interested in helping me if there is any questions that you want to fire at me about this watch i will answer them.

Your help would be greatly appriciated.
    KiwiWomble likes this.

Including some Punch marks of what looks like a lion, another of the letter "A", a Triangle with a shield, can you make any light of what these would be.
    They sound like hallmarks, which are little symbols which are hammered into metal at the time of manufacture. They're usually used to tell you what kind of metal it is and when the item was made. I'm far from an expert on hallmarks, though. That's all I can tell you.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

You can use this link and compare against the list of hallmarks. Maybe you can identify the source further.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi Desmond,
    Thankyou for the information. it is quite interesting. it is greatly appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by mondodec View Post
    I have a rotherhams wrist watch that was custom made for my grandfather and has the family name on it.

Rotherhams were based in Coventry and began in 1747 when the firm of Vale was established, Samuel Vale serving as Mayor of Coventry on several separate occasions. The firm subsequently became Vale & Howlette, then Vale, Howlette, Carr & Rotherham. Richard Kevitt Rotherham was a former apprentice of the firm which eventually became Rotherham & Sons. Rotherhams went on to become the major employer and manufacturer and came to enjoy an international reputation. By 1899 they employed 400 - 500 people plus about 200 outworkers and produced 100 watches a day.

Rotherhams lasted longer than the other factories although others diversified to survive. In 1930 Rotherhams ceased watch production, turning to instruments and timers, some with military applications. Clocks were made until 1964, frequently being used as presentation pieces. In 1973 Rotherhams were incorporated into Cornercroft Engineering and were recently bought by their management in a deal backed by the Bank of Scotland.......according to my notes.

Cheers

desmond
    Cheers for the info, jsut found my grandfather had one and it sounds surprising like the one descripbed above

Thread Information