1878 French.....ID?

Thread: 1878 French.....ID?

1878 French.....ID?

I'm trying to get some info on this pocket watch. I dont read french. The case is solid silver. Im amazed it runs very well. Sorry about the garbage pics.

Thanks
    Justin

Isle of Antigoni, near Constantinople & Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: 1878 French.....ID?

Hi Justin,

Not necessary to be a French make. It is most likely a Swiss made , anchor escapement, stem wind , breguet overcoil, compensated balance wheel and fifteen jewel , half hunter possibly silver case , bridge movement . If there are somewhere inside the case "silver hallmarks" you can make sure at least where the case was made and in many cases the provenance of the movement would be the same place. I presume the watch is younger than it is tentative age 1878, cause it is a stem wound one and it must be made between 1880s to 1910s. Meanwhile if you write or photograph clearly the name which ends with Freres perhaps someone on the forum can give you a gratifying answer about the maker or the vendor. It says on the dust cover that it was either made or sold by in Besançon and that city is in France but these people might be vendors rather than makers as well. OK I did my best and I read the name on the dust cover: Fernier Freres, according to mikrolisk, they are carriage clocks makers , Louis Fernier and brother, they had shops in Paris and Besançon, France. They might make this watch or imported ebauche from Switzerland and cased there. Besançon is located in east of France and very close to Switzerland, and in the 19th century Besançon makers & vendors had close trade connections with their Swiss counterparts.
    Cheers,
    Constantine
    Last edited by constantin-o-politan; December 16th, 2011 at 00:32.

You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist.
    - Indira Gandhi-
    "High thoughts must have high language."
    -Aristophanes-

Re: 1878 French.....ID?

Thanks man.

Thread Information