1883 Columbus Pocket Watch

Thread: 1883 Columbus Pocket Watch

Picture 1883 Columbus Pocket Watch

I'd love to tell you that I dug this up while tilling my land or some such romantic story, but the truth is I bought it on eBay.
    Some of the gold plating has worn off and there is a dent or two but I think it is in pretty fair condition considering its age.I think the hour hand may be bent some or there may be a problem with the movement; the six o'clock position is pretty much the only time the hands line up correctly. You can see that at 10:11 the hour hand is way to far forward.

The paper label inside the case matches the serial number on the case; I think it has exceeded its wear expectations to a considerable degree.

I wound it up and it started ticking right away.

Re: 1883 Columbus Pocket Watch

It is a 18 size and it is amazingly heavy compared to my post Soviet Molnijas, mind you there is a lot more to the case and thats a pretty hefty movement.

I'm not really concerned with how much it is worth because I think I will value it highly for some time, but is it better to leave it in its well worn condition, or to have the case replated and the dial spruced up? Such an endevour may be quite costly

It's not actually possible to replate the case (I don't think so, at least) because the case isn't plated. It's gold-filled. And because of that, replating isn't possible. Or at least, that's what I was always told.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    It's not actually possible to replate the case (I don't think so, at least) because the case isn't plated. It's gold-filled. And because of that, replating isn't possible. Or at least, that's what I was always told.
    Actually according to the label, it is plated: "This case is made of two plates of 14K gold over a composition of fine metal"

Banned

Plating:
    Electroplating
    Hot plating.
    Both give a very thin layer of the metal

Gold filling - much thicker layer. Think sandwich. That is what your case is made from.As Shangas says, it can not be repaired.
    Well, it can. First you need to remove all of the gold and expose the basemetal. Then it has to be electroplated.

Expensive!

Strange: "composition of fine metal". ???

Brass!

Quote Originally Posted by Daboryder View Post
    Actually according to the label, it is plated: "This case is made of two plates of 14K gold over a composition of fine metal"
    "plated" = electroplated
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

It is gold filled, but with old school terminology. They took two 'plates' of gold and put them on either side of some base metal, then rolled between rollers until thin. More like laminating in some ways. Some people will replate these gold filled cases, but I haven't tried them out myself. Replateit.com is one such outfit.

Anyway, I have several of these and they are VERY nice watches.

I'd like a better pic of the movement and serial. Nice jeweled centre. I suspect your hands just haven't been aligned on 12, simple fix. They are by the way not the original hands.

You can see one of mine here.
    Last edited by trim; May 28th, 2011 at 23:28.

Terminology changes over the years. Nowadays, there are fairly strict rules that govern what words you are allowed to use to describe products, and what they mean. Back in 1883, not so much.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

As the others have explained - It's not gold plated. It's gold FILLED. Gold-plating lasts for twelve months, if you're lucky. This has lasted for over 100 years. It's gold-fill.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

These case are also for sale on ebay. its an 18s fahys hunter. Should be the same as most ant early 20th century gold filled hunter case, 18s. Great looking watch from columbus ohio!

Thread Information