1895-1900 Gunmetal p.w. cases

Thread: 1895-1900 Gunmetal p.w. cases

1895-1900 Gunmetal p.w. cases

Have Columbus 0 and 18 size good quality blued steel watch cases. Uncommon, only briefly
    fashionable. Only good quality source seems to be Illinois Watch Case Co. Had 0s Columbus for a long time. Just paid a little extra for an 18s Columbus. Seller photo here. The gold on these 2 of 1895+ is solid alloy except bows. Very well made. 1900 ads are fun. Notice oxidized Nubian and Tasty for case descriptions. The 18s is marked Gunmetal Nubian. Except for Ingersolls, not many made, but refreshing visually compared to the usual gold and silver. Would appreciate comments concerning this case style.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 1895-1900 Gunmetal p.w. cases

I have never seen a gun metal case... silveroid seem fairly uncommon too.

The bluing does not seem as rich as I have seen on guns. I know guns need re-bluing every so often. I wonder if these case could be re-blued?? (I doubt it.)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The finish looks great, I believe that the bluing method used would be a low temperature salt bluing method, that does not achieve the rich color of high temperature bluing. They also lack the high polish required for a rich blue, which shold not diminish our appreciation of the effect, it makes for a very attractive watch case.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 6 size was not used much. The 18 size was. Interior like the small one but external surfaces uneven lighter shade. 2 color gold inlays a little crude but nice thick and solid. I tried a little gun blue liquid. Too blue not black enough. Wiped off o.k..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Art this link explains the old process and some of the differences to the new process. Liquid blue is designed for the new process About Rust Bluing.... the post on a Audemers Freres shows a gunmetal cas that's damaged whisch may be why they fell out of favor. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/inf...ve-543236.html

A watchmaker friend of mine seems to be able to re-blue cases and hands by using the flame of a candle. I have tried it but only ended up burning things. lol

Thread Information