1899 Maximus and gold scrap actvity

Thread: 1899 Maximus and gold scrap actvity

1899 Maximus and gold scrap actvity

This one is the first production of the last Waltham Maximus 16 size rr model. It is interesting because of the unusually fine triple hidden hinge heavy solid plain rr style gold case. I have seen thousands of nice cases, but not this one elsewhere. Marked D.D.& D. Not the sort that would normally get scrapped. However, at the recent NAWCC national annual mart, officials allowed scrap buyers. They were paying 95% of scrap value for hundreds. The most active trading activity there. One spent $60,000+.
    Overall collector and dealer activity was very good as well. The crown looks oddly worn or oxidized. It is actually solid gold. Typical of a fine case the flat inner cover is a distortion free optically flat mirror
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; June 26th, 2010 at 12:07.

Re: 1899 Maximus

The issue about gold scrap buyers being allowed at official marts has been discussed and commented on other fora. I am one of those who does not like the idea at all.

I always like the watches you post, Art. And I am very interested in cases, and who made them, American or English.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: 1899 Maximus

I have had this conversation with my watch maker and jeweler. We are all in agreement that this is a horrible practice. My watch maker has seen this happen at NAWCC events also.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1899 Maximus and gold scrap activity

No one is for this scrapping activity, but any buying and selling professional, or simply a collector, buying below scrap value can not be easily distinguished from a scrapper. Scrappers buying at close to full value are looking toward higher commodity values, and getting collectibles cheap. So even through the scrappers most good ones will survive. During the first 1980 inflation I think there was less general knowledge and appreciation for the valuable collectible.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    The issue about gold scrap buyers being allowed at official marts has been discussed and commented on other fora. I am one of those who does not like the idea at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    I have had this conversation with my watch maker and jeweler. We are all in agreement that this is a horrible practice. My watch maker has seen this happen at NAWCC events also.
    A lot of collectors don't like this practice. BUT... if collectors try to steal these for BELOW scrap (as they always do), then the owners will make more money by having them melted. This is exactly the topic I've discussed with a couple different watchmakers. If a regular person needed money and their dirty old pocket watch had $600 in scrap value, but nobody came close to that reserve on eBay because it needs a $150 service done, what do you think they'd do?

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    No one is for this scrapping activity, but any buying and selling professional, or simply a collector, buying below scrap value can not be easily distinguished from a scrapper. Scrappers buying at close to full value are looking toward higher commodity values, and getting collectibles cheap. So even through the scrappers most good ones will survive. During the first 1980 inflation I think there was less general knowledge and appreciation for the valuable collectible.
    That's the one good thing. Even a scrapper can go on the internet and find out which pieces are worth more than the sum of their parts. The bad thing is all the wonderful but common examples will meet their demise.

Re: 1899 Maximus and gold scrap actvity

Fine summation of the situation.

In the UK gold scrappers are advertising on national television and in
    local and national press. It sticks in my gullet that they callously rip
    movements from their cases and throw them into junk boxes, breaking dials,
    hands, balances, tearing hinges from the movement because they couldn't
    be bothered to remove the pins.
    Most have no regard for the watchmakers work and afterall, the case is a
    receptacle, the primary function of which is to protect the watchmakers fine work...
    how ironic is that.

Thread Information