18k Omega Pre-Speedmaster chronos, fair prices?

Thread: 18k Omega Pre-Speedmaster chronos, fair prices?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

18k Omega Pre-Speedmaster chronos, fair prices?

I've been looking at some Omega vintage watches, specifically the chronos. Wanted to know what would be a fair price for one in 18k.
    I recently saw a really nice one, but wasn't sure if it was legit.

Saw it listed here https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...8k-549627.html

Is this watch legitimate? I've never seen this type of crown used on one of these watches. Also the price looked very good to similar watches I've seen listed. I also noticed a lemania watch that was almost identical.

Anyone know if these types of watches are water resistant?

Any info. or recommendations on vintage would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Re: 18k Omega Pre-Speedmaster chronos, fair prices?

Well, we don't do valuations here and that's essentially a valuation.

I will say IMHO (in my humble opinion) almost ALL vintage Omegas are vastly overpriced. In the current market Omega has been placed by the Swatch Group as a middle high end company. People who don't have a good sense of history (nubies) assume they have always been that way. In reality for much of their history they were just a more conservative version of Tissot. IMHO Longines was the Omega of its times for most watches before 1980.

I hope that helps.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Movement is legit in that watch, but it looks like a redial to me. That'll impact value negatively, without going into numbers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    ]In reality for much of their history they were just a more conservative version of Tissot.
    Jeepers Eeeb. Can't say I agree with you at all. That is an absolutely indefensible statement.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Jeepers Eeeb. Can't say I agree with you at all. That is an absolutely indefensible statement.
    Have to agree with that. Leaving aside the question of whether the vintage pieces are overvalued or not (Pesonal opinion: if they are, then that must apply about 100 times as much to vintage Rolexes!) About the only thing that might impact negatively on the pre quartz crisis Omega (and also the modern one) is volume: in excess of half a million watches a year certainly doesn't make a watch company's output terribly exclusive and detracts from the "special" status. Mind you, Rolex have been getting away with that for decades! Other than that, Omega made movements that were just as accurate and high quality as Longines around that time. And their movements and watches were among the most rugged that you could get. What more can you ask for?!

Hartmut Richter

I own a 60s seamaster and compared to other vintage watches I own the quality is to me far better, and thats just by holding them in my hands never mind the movement.

That's a redial, as stated, but the crown is correct, I have seen it on many old Omegas, including a mint Century which I wear regularly. I may be slightly biased, as I am a watchmaker for Swatch, but IMHO, Omega is good bang for the buck nowadays, especially when compared with other mid luxury companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    That's a redial, as stated, but the crown is correct, I have seen it on many old Omegas, including a mint Century which I wear regularly. I may be slightly biased, as I am a watchmaker for Swatch, but IMHO, Omega is good bang for the buck nowadays, especially when compared with other mid luxury companies.
    Got to say I really like the crown on the watch, that and the buttons look real nice IMHO. It's a shame it already sold :( I guess I'll know for next time.

On the subject of redials ect... How much of an issue is it to get a frankenstein type of watch? I see some watches on ebay out of Argentina that look to be from a watchmaker that specializes in bringing the omegas back to life. Makes custom parts I suppose to salvage Omegas.

Wondering what's a fair why to "value" a watch of this type.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Well, maybe it would help if I stated I have a lot of respect for Tissot?? But I do have more respect for Longines. I've just never caught onto the vintage Omega bandwagon. The 70s seems to have been the crossover decade between the two companies.... to me at least.

I realize this opinion swims against the current. But I don't think it is absolutely indefensible. (If Dennis were still around he might chime in and help me here... alas.)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I have seen firsthand some of the Frankens from Argentina, and also the Ukraine. They are certainly not making parts to restore the watches, rather, they are cobbled together from several non running watches. Personally, I don't mind a redial if it is a good one, but it depends on the watch. A true collector's item, and one that is rare, should be original, IMHO. Of course the redial affects the price negatively, but if the watch is in good condition except for the dial, it can make sense to redial it especially if you want to wear it. Again, depends on the watch. My friend from school got his vintage Navitimer redialed by International, and it was a very good job. The original dial looked like crap, and now the watch is a stunner. It is one he intends to keep, so no issues arising from a sale point of view.
    As for the watch in question, it is in excellent condition, but for the redial. Possibly the original was unusable, (the hands show signs of corrosion still) and since they were servicing and polishing it for sale, they figured it would be best to have a clean looking dial to match the watch. The gold content notwithstanding, I think the price is a shade high.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information