1900 English PW - F.J. Spiller- Taunton - Sterling case by JR

Thread: 1900 English PW - F.J. Spiller- Taunton - Sterling case by JR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1900 English PW - F.J. Spiller- Taunton - Sterling case by JR

I mentioned this a few weeks ago. I now finally have a set of pics. So let me share.

This is my first foray into the dark unknowns of early timepieces. The hallmarks date the case to 1900. It is English. It is a key wind and set brass movement and the seller describes it as an 1876 fusse from F. J. Spiller of Taunton.

None of my books acknowledge Spiller. I do not know how the seller's date came to be. But I do suspect this is a movement from a period where the manufacture of these pieces was not state of the art. It is vary solidly made and still works over a hundred years later. This may be a good example from the last days of English watches. Once Harrison got them started, they dominated the industry for around a hundred years.

One of the things that interested me a lot was the case. It is a solid piece of Sterling silver hand wrought.

But let's get into the pics...

It is a big piece that polishes well into a bright shiny fetish The dial is clear. The key wind hole is protected by a lid as is tradition.

(Aside: note the stamps.)

I confess to only a non-WIS level of knowledge of this movement. I got this because I wanted one before I retired.

If it really is a fusee, the chain is encased in a big barrel. The barrel is sandwiched between two thick brass plates held in position by brass pillars. The gear train is suspended between the plates.

And the balance wheel sits atop the plates, normally under a dust cover.

The dust cover is the first hint of the interesting case work. It has a steel arch screwed into it... evidently for reinforcing against some sort of distortion... or torsion for a snap back trick??

The case is Sterling and is well hallmarked with 3 sets of stamps by "JR" who also is not identified in an references I was able to check. But the 1900 date must make it one of their later cases.

This was case number 808. Since they are hand fitted it is important to keep the parts for the case together.

I had to refit the acrylic crystal back into the case and that caused me to marvel at the ability to make a very small but truly round and strong thin lip to a relatively thin bezel. It took a great deal of time under 5x magnification to do it. But better to be slow than sorry!

The case is, in fact, not manufactured from pure Sterling silver. I assume experience show such cases did not have sufficient strength at a critical part, where the case suffers a great deal of pulling during it's life...

So a steel insert was fashioned across the top third of the case and was screwed into edge.

It keeps good time most of the time. It does not appear to have a very long power reserve and does show an irritating tendency to stop. The seller said it was serviced but serviced and serviced for sale are often two different levels of 'serviced'. Anyway, my watchmaker won't touch it so this one is mine to baby. But I haven't finished my parenting classes yet so Spiller and JR's work won't be much more than a looker for a while.

"Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: 1900 English PW - F.J. Spiller- Taunton - Sterling case by JR

Hi Eeeb, it is a going barrel, not a fusee. Which is appropriate for the age of the watch.

Even if you can't see the insides of the watch, you can usually tell because of the position of the key winder.

Mine will say hello when I find my memory card.

Mine says hello - a W Ehrhardt going barrel. 1902 from memory, so same era as yours. As Erik_H noted in this thread W.E. was both the casemaker and the watchmaker.

I am kicking myself, as I just broke the hour hand taking these photos :oops:

As you can see, mine is still in the 'to service' pile.

Just to show what I meant in the above post, here is one of my fusees (1874) - see how the key winder is below the bridge, when in going barrels like yours (and my Ehrhardt) it is usually on the other side. Yours is mounted directly on the barrel arbor, whereas the Ehrhardt uses an extra indirect gear - but they are both still going barrels.

Last edited by trim; September 6th, 2010 at 23:38.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Amazing how similar these 3 watches are in movement and case...

(The NAWCC has an interesting video about Wadsworth cases on it's member website... it got me more interested in cases.)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Yes, the movements have strong similarity, even through technological changes.

Verge Fusee -> Lever Fusee -> Going Barrel

All share very similar movement designs, the only minimal changes made to incorporate the new technologies.

Oh and Eeeb, that 'steel arch' is the dust cover clip. Slide it left and right to close and open.
    Last edited by trim; September 7th, 2010 at 02:22.

Beautiful watches.

You might like to watch this 3 minute video showing how a watch case was made by hand:

YouTube - V&A Jewellery Gallery - Making a Watchcase
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi Eeeb,
    I'm fairly familiar with this type of case, the steel inset in the top third
    of the case is the case spring for the button and also incorporates the 'catch'
    for the case back, it is not reinforcing.
    There is usualy a second spring fitted in the rim of the case and this is to flip
    open the case back when the button is pressed and so allowing easy
    access for winding the movement.

I enjoyed that, thanks Marrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Beautiful watches.

You might like to watch this 3 minute video showing how a watch case was made by hand:

YouTube - V&A Jewellery Gallery - Making a Watchcase

Great to see these old skills still practiced, love the old bow lathe.

Loomes "Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World" mentions the maker briefly: Spiller, Francis John. Taunton (Som) 1883.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information