1900 Grand Prix Paris Longines and vintage HY Morcer & Ce

Thread: 1900 Grand Prix Paris Longines and vintage HY Morcer & Ce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1900 Grand Prix Paris Longines and vintage HY Morcer & Ce

Hi Guys,

I need your expert views on the following watches:

From my grand grand pa I have got 1900 Grand Prix Paris, 14K Longines, with 1259841 id number and HY Morcer and Ce, 14k, 34828 ID number, quality vermez, echappement a ancre xierres.

Phohots attached (sory for bad quality). Can someone give some info on these watches, rough idea on value, etc.

Watches are not working, not sure if any problem, but most likely not used for more than 80 years now.
    I do not know the age of Morcer, as cold not find production year on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: 1900 Grand Prix Paris Longines and vintage HY Morcer & Ce

Welcome to the forum. I am afraid we don't do valuations here - there is a sticky as to why. The best way to get a reasonably precise age for the Moser would probably to use the case hallmarks. It must almost certainly be pre-1917 since it was made for the russian market and that broke down after the revolution. Since it is pin set, it is probably from the late 19th century, possibly the first decade of the 20th century.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I am afraid we don't do valuations here - there is a sticky as to why. The best way to get a reasonably precise age for the Moser would probably to use the case hallmarks. It must almost certainly be pre-1917 since it was made for the russian market and that broke down after the revolution. Since it is pin set, it is probably from the late 19th century, possibly the first decade of the 20th century.

Hartmut Richter
    Actually, I think this particular model was NOT intended for the Russian market. All Moser watches for the Russian market had inscriptions in Russian inside. Longines is a pocket watch conversion, probably executed between 1915 and 1922. The movement looks like early 1900s. Moser is likely dated around 1900. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by vbomega; January 3rd, 2013 at 00:42.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Size of the Longines would help in judging if this was a pocket watch conversion or not. Dating also would assist in this - I assume the Longines experts can tell us when they next won a Grand Prix after Paris?

Hi guys, thanks for the views received so far. I thought Longines was made in 1900, since it is written on the back, or that does not mean production year ?

To define the age of Moser where should I look at ? I could not detect any figures on it, except ID number.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

1900 is the date of the exhibition at Paris where they won a Grand Prix for a watch/ watch movement - it's a bit of advertising/ marketing. Clearly that means that this watch is later than this. Can you tell us the size of the Longines?

Quote Originally Posted by Whatta Man View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for the views received so far. I thought Longines was made in 1900, since it is written on the back, or that does not mean production year ?

To define the age of Moser where should I look at ? I could not detect any figures on it, except ID number.

The Longines is a very crude pocket watch conversion. If the case is gold, the conversion was likely done during WWI, and not in the 20s, when most original gold cases were melted for gold, while movements (mostly hunter) were either used in new silver or nickel wristwatch cases, or in much lighter gold wristwatch cases.
    Last edited by vbomega; January 3rd, 2013 at 23:06.

Longines was made in 1901. You can look serials from this link:
    LONGINESSERIAL

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Sorry, my mistake - at first glance, the inscription looke cyryllic to me....

Hartmut Richter

Hy Moser Ser#375xx (Echappement a Ancre, 15 Pierres, Qualite Maret) was produced on or before 1906, so yours is likely a bit older. Unfortunately, there is no reliable serial number database for Henry Moser. (at least none that I am aware of, or some other Moser collectors).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information