1911 Elgin repair - via jeweler?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 28A
  • 1 Post By Gumby992
  • 3 Post By LokianEule

Thread: 1911 Elgin repair - via jeweler?

1911 Elgin repair - via jeweler?

Hi,

I've never posted here so apologies if this is incorrect procedure. I have a 1911 Elgin (1000 were made, 15 jewel, here's the page http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgi...&action=search) which I was given randomly and I got an estimate on it from the pocket watch fixer via a jeweler. I was told something was wrong with the mainspring and that certain parts had to be replaced (idk if it was the mainspring itself). The estimate was $450 and I felt that was very high considering the fact that, correct if I'm wrong, Elgins aren't very special or rare. The face and exterior of mine is in very good condition. I read on another post here that going through a jeweler is a terrible idea because the costs are inflated. Can anybody confirm this?

And if anybody knows a reliable place to ship such a watch for repair, or knows a good place near Kansas City, MO, I would very much appreciate it. I will be looking for an independent watch fixer to get an estimate, but I thought I'd ask here first.

I just don't want to pay such a number since the most expensive watch I've ever bought was brand new and at 300 USD (its a double hunter ruhla no complications, idk if that's fancy or not). I was willing to pay 300 for the repair, though I don't know if that's a standard cost for such a standard watch.
    Last edited by LokianEule; August 3rd, 2015 at 05:41.

Re: 1911 Elgin repair - via jeweler?

The estimate is many times what the watch is worth.

28A

Post some pictures of the watch!

Also, go and find a watchmaker.. i would NEVER trust a jeweller with anything i own after my parents jeweller of 20 years destroyed one of the wheels in our 1840's fusee pocket watch and it's now going to cost a fortune to have the wheel remade..

Another point, regardless of whether it's worth 10 bucks or 100,000 a watchmaker will quote you a set hourly rate.. unless they have a service at a set price.
    busmatt likes this.
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, look for a good watchmaker. A service should be considerably less than you have been quoted. If parts are required that would add in some cost, and perhaps take some time to source. This Elgin 315 is a straightforward, decent, 15 jewel movement. Elgin made over a million of them.
    GeneJockey likes this.

I was on a road trip and by pure coincidence found a watchmaker with much more reasonable rates than that jeweler (either of the two I asked), so I sent in the Elgin and another one I have for cleaning. When they're back I'll show pics, if just for the enjoyment.

Gumby992, now that you say it, I finally understand how that whole grade/class / # made thing works. I have thoroughly deceived myself as to how many were made. So what does "Quanty 1000" mean?

Thanks for confirming my suspicions everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by LokianEule View Post
    I was on a road trip and by pure coincidence found a watchmaker with much more reasonable rates than that jeweler (either of the two I asked), so I sent in the Elgin and another one I have for cleaning. When they're back I'll show pics, if just for the enjoyment.

Gumby992, now that you say it, I finally understand how that whole grade/class / # made thing works. I have thoroughly deceived myself as to how many were made. So what does "Quanty 1000" mean?

Thanks for confirming my suspicions everybody.

Good to hear you found someone to work on the watch for more reasonable rates.

The "1000" quantity relates to the number of Grade 315 movements made in that production run. The company would not make all of their 315 movements at once, but rather over a number of runs which may span a number of years, (sometimes even decades). They would generally produce only as many as they considered needed at any time to meet the requirements of the immediate future. Thus the total number of movements produced will generally far exceed the number made in any one run, (apart, perhaps, from genuinely low production movements). The 315 was one of Elgin's more numerous 12 size movements. It's a good quality 15 jewel movement, the center wheel being left unjeweled which is relatively slow moving. The escapement and the rest of the train is jeweled to promote efficient running and longevity. The escapement benefits in timekeeping capability from having a screwed bi-metallic balance and Breguet hairspring. A common enough movement, but not to be looked down upon. I have a number of 315 watches myself. They came is a very wide variety of case and dial styles. I hope you enjoy yours when it gets back from the watchmaker.
    Last edited by Gumby992; August 14th, 2015 at 16:44.

Sorry I'm getting back to this a year later, but here are those photos:

First is the 1911, 15j, white porcelain dial one that needed repair:

Name:  IMG_2964.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  793.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2965.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  1.28 MB
    (Sorry i couldn't get the light better)

Then the 1922, 15j, with the metal dial:

Name:  IMG_2966.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  252.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2967.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  364.7 KB

Thanks for the follow-up with pics of the Elgin 17 jewelers. The movements look clean and the 1911 example has a particularly nice dial.

Thread Information